The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 02:34 PM

cicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to beholdcicvara is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Allan, step by step is well done as in the book. Now it's easier. I have not had a black cock, and even this is not bad.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The head cement is Wapsi lacquer, one coat soaks in and seals the silk or thread and when dry apply the top coat for the gloss finish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Awesome stufff...feeling very small walking among such giants. Will post my variation in the next few days.....if I can get the photos up.

This should be a great learning environment.......impressive tyes so far!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

I dubbed my grub. I also sometimes get lazy when it's time to switch thread colors. When Using white or cream thread I sometimes run a sharpie marker down the thread to finish the head in the color I want. The marker does not bleed and cut's down on bulk for the head I usually do this just before I tie down the last part of the fly, The hackle in this case.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I tried my hand....but it is having a bad hair day...LOL

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That's looking good Joni, if you stay the course through all of the learning steps that Allan is going to show us your last tie will no doubt not be in need of an explanation. I've seen how well you can wrap a hook!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my grub, I used a Golden Badger feather. The hook is a little too large, Partridge CS10 size 2. I have some size 6's on order, but they have been back ordered so I used what I had on hand.

Larry
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Just got home from a trip to the eastern Sierras so I'm playing catch-up. I've read all the posts. Good work everyone (with pictures as well as your flies). I'll apologize in advance for my pictures. I'm using a Sony point and shoot and have zero skills. Here it is:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Had no materials so I used a TMC200R, bent the eye up (cheater, my bad). Actually looks good in person. OH, the black rear tag. Someone must have tied the hackle back in at the rear while I was away from the vise.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Looks good from here Jimmie,

If you or any other participants have questions about any aspect of getting good or better results drop me a PM. I am the official thread sitter while Allan is away.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

One thing I use on my heads now is (sally hansons strengthening top coat) dries in like 30 seconds to a hard shiney finnish. I like it better than the standard sally hansons hard as nails for finishing a fly
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..