The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Try the Sally Hansen "BLACK" it is pretty cool and covers those .......missed spots....LOL
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is my grub, I used a Golden Badger feather. The hook is a little too large, Partridge CS10 size 2. I have some size 6's on order, but they have been back ordered so I used what I had on hand.
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
Larry, It looks like a nicely tyed Low Water fly to me...

Dan
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Thanks, I never thought of that, it might just work for a low water fly. Hopefully, my size 6 hooks will come in this week.

Larry
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That is really nice work Larry!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That is really nice work Larry!
Ard: Nothing like the quality flies you tie, but thanks for the compliment! At least I had fun and thanks to Allan for coming up with this idea!

Larry
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Don't sell yourself short on the quality issue Larry. We are all just trying to enjoy that pile of feathers and fur we have accumulated and get better at our craft. You make wonderful ties, at least every one I ever saw.

We better not keep posting back and forth here or I'll be in trouble when Allan gets back,
Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Dang, y'all are way ahead of me. I won't be tying mine for 2-3 days probably. I have been busy around the house mostly doing stuff like weeding, which I hate. I would rather be tying flies....lol...!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Have not been able to start the Grub yet as we have been out of town and then spent the last week dealing with health issues of one of our dogs. Hopefully, I can finally get started.

Just went to the local fly shop to get some materials and showed the owner our book. He thought the Grub was something called a "skating pattern" intended to "skate" across the surface of the water. If you do want to use it as a skating pattern, you might want to choose your hackle accordingly. For example, he thought that neck hackle would skate on the surface better than other types of hackle of the appropriate size and shape.

Not sure if the info from the local shop conflicts with what Tom describes or not. He noted that they resemble a caterpillar (page 29). He also described the grub as a "glorified palmer" (page 29) - is that just describing the tying technique or is Tom referring to something else?

BTW, someone was looking for a photo of the completed fly in the book - the photos are actually prior to the pages describing how to tie it. The photos are on plates. Plate # VII (b/w pages 26 and 27) shows two grub patterns. There is another one on plate #IX (b/w pages 30 and 31). I think the photos on this forum are more helpful and easier to see.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Dun,

I think they would make a good skater if tied on a size ten dry fly hook but with the yarn body and a #6 salmon iron you are gonna have a wet fly no matter what you use for hackle.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Just back tonight from a business trip and there they are; 4 more grub patterns posted! And it looks like two more on the way from Kelly (Kelkay) and Mary (BlueDun). That's great! I'm glad that everyone is getting a chance to have some fun with this pattern.

Allen - thanks for the hint on using a Sharpie marker to create a black thread (or any colored thread for that matter) from a lighter one. Do you have a pic of the finished grub that you could post? If so, we'd all like to see it.

Joni - looks good to me. FYI - I've got a travel sized Finesse hair conditioner that I could send to you (chuckle)

Larry - I really like the looks of that golden badger hackle on your grub. You get the contrast of the back against the red body and silver rib; without the "weight" that comes into the pattern with a fully black hackle. I agree with Dan, it looks like a good low water pattern to me.

Jimmie - you have to watch out for those "vise gremlins"; they'll get you every time! Looks good to me though. Check your camera and see if it has a macro feature; it probably does. If so, you should be able to get pics as close as 2" away; perhaps closer. A standard tripod will help in shooting close-ups. They fit all of today's points and shoot cameras. I use this one; it's inexpensive and will take a camera that weighs much more than a point and shoot model:

MICROPAC TECHNOLOGIES GN-BGTR GN-BGTR Floor Standing Tripod - MPT Professional Camera Tripod 40" Height Silver, GNBGTR @ AntaresPro.com

Bob (Sandfly) - thanks for the tip on the Sally Hansen's Strengthening Coat and Joni, thanks for the idea on the SH Black; you can bet that I'll be getting a bottle of that - right away!

Kelly and Mary - post on your flies as soon as you get them tied up. We're all interested in seeing them.

Let's see, with Kelly and Mary, that will be 9 of 15. We still need to hear from Fysh, FISHN50, Peregrines, Aroostookbasser and Futuramille. Let us know how you're coming guys.

Ard - thanks a lot for sitting the thread for me!

Pocono