The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 PM

coloradoavalanche is on a distinguished road
Default Basic Gear

I don't want to repeat anything already said, but I recently purchased a beginner Dr. Slick fly tying kit which has all of the necessary beginning tools. The only thing the kit doesn't include are the hooks, threads, and other materials. It would be great if any of you veteran tyers could mabey compile a little list of the basic materials needed to tye some basic nymphs and caddis' for north eastern trout fishing

Thanks,
Chaz
Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Basic Gear

Take a look at this basic materials kit. Should get you started.

Cabela's Material Kit

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi coloradoavalanche,

Some of the most complete fly tying material kits comes from Kaufmann's Streamborn. The kits are unique in that they are set up to tie specific flies with the materials needed for those flies. The kits include a book covering the flies and how to tie them. I have not seen all of the books by Randall Kaufmann but I have the Nymph book and can highly recommend it. The pictures are very high quality. Their cheapest kit is the Basic Beginning Kit. The reason I like the Kaufmann Kits is the hooks and materials are all good quality. If I was buying this Kit I would ask them to upgrade the book to the Fly Tying Made Easy For Beginners. It should be just a few more dollars.

Frank
Streamborn Fly Tying Kits - Basic Beginning Kit

Designed and built by Randall Kaufmann for first-time tyers, this kit has every material for the first nine flies in Randall's book, Fly Tying for Beginners. Includes Tiemco hooks and the book.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

It sounded like he already bought the kit.......... So purchasing a new kit is probably something he doesnt want to do.

Caddis is a cheap fly to learn on, because all you need are size 8 hooks(i know, those are big caddis's but that makes them easier to tie), some deer/elk hair, and some dubbing. Also go with the thick thread when you are learning, i found it easier anyways.

Then once you tie a couple of the very simplest elk hair caddis, then you can find the next fly you want to tie online(or in a book) then just add the feathers/fur as you go. And just try a new fly every couple weeks, this keeps the expense down.

Wooly buggers are another fly that is hard to mess up, cheap to tie, and is really useful.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

For some simple nymph patterns, Mustad 3906B's in size 10, 12, 14; some rabbit dubbing, light olive, tan, brown; some gold or copper wire, and some partridge. 3/0 or 6/0 thread and possibly some beads. Frank mentioned the Kaufman book on nymphs; I would wholeheartedly second that!

Dan
Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MTskibum'

The Kaufmann Kits are material kits, they don't include any tools. The Dr Slick Kit is tools only and does not include any materials. At least that is my understanding.

Frank
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi MTskibum'

The Kaufmann Kits are material kits, they don't include any tools. The Dr Slick Kit is tools only and does not include any materials. At least that is my understanding.

Frank
Ok, i didnt know anything about either kit. I just knew it was someone who is in an age bracket that probably doesnt have a lot of excess money to get started tying flies, thats why i recommended just trying to learn a new fly every couple weeks.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
Ok, i didnt know anything about either kit. I just knew it was someone who is in an age bracket that probably doesnt have a lot of excess money to get started tying flies, thats why i recommended just trying to learn a new fly every couple weeks.
Skibum, you know I missed his age. I almost always look at the age but didn't do it this time. Thanks for pointed that out. A very good example why all posters should include their age.

Frank