The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 06:24 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough
Default What is this hair?

Hi All
I was given this piece of hair sometime ago but never actually knew what animal it was from, any ideas?
The hair is fairly straight (except for what is left!) and about 2 inches long.
The original colour was white.
Calf body hair or goat?
I don't really know what it is, but i use it to tie my Sea Trout (UK version of a steel head) tube flies and this piece is all i have left.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully this link works
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/IMG_2325.jpg
Cheers
Richard
Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: What is this hair?

Hi Richard,

I will take a guess at your hair. It could be Bear hair but i haven't see Bear hair dyed. Bear is great hair but you can't dye it as well as a white based hair. A better guess would be Arctic Fox which comes in many colors. Then it could be Sheep or Goat. If I could see a fly that you tye with your hair, that may help out. My best guess is Arctic Fox.

I would take it to a Taxidermist and see what they say.

Frank
Old 05-18-2008, 06:05 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Hi Frank,
Here is a sample of a fly i tie with the hair, i have some arctic fox but it is definately not fox.
Image of tube fly - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cheers
Richard
Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

well if I had to guess I would say elk or deer? looks like that to me but i am no expert

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking along the same line as Frank, possibly Bear, but the hide looks too thin.
Could it be dyed Caribou?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 PM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

Is it course or soft?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

ya i am confused on this also. looks like hair to me. but resembled the deer and elk i have. trust them not me.....

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

It's goat hair, i use and sell it..Great material for flies..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
It's goat hair, i use and sell it..Great material for flies..
Thanks for all your input, i knew it wasn't deer or elk as it is fairly fine, goat does seem more likely.
Cheers
Richard
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to guess CALF hair. Or at least that is what mine looks like, I hate using TAIL. And I have the same color ORANGE in calf. Not seeing the piece in person, that is my guess. GREAT WULFF WINGS!