The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Soft Hackle Substitutes

I'm getting ready to tie up some of the older soft hackle patterns and wanted to ask if anyone out there knows of or has used any good substitutes for the hackle feathers that are in some of the original recipies; many of which call for European wild bird hackle from now protected species. In particular, I'm interested in good substitutes for Dotteral and Land Rail.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:37 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Soft Hackle Substitutes

Get yourself a Hungarian Partridge skin...Many useful feathers...

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Think dan is onto something.......

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-02-2008, 02:01 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I have been tying a lot of soft hackle wets lately and I also use the Hungarian Partridge.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Pocono,

I don't know what Dotteral looks like so it is hard to give substitutions. Here are some good feathers for Soft Hackle flies besides Hungarian Partridge. You will note that the Brahma hen back is somewhat similar to the Land Rail body feathers, well maybe a little. Starling wings are also dyed brown and sold commercially as ’landrail substitute’.

To get what you want you may have to find something with the right pattern and dye it.

Frank

1. Starling Skin are neat. Parts of the bird look like Snipe.
2. Indian Hen Backs and necks.
3. Bobwhite Quail body feathers.
4. American Speckled Brahma hen back.

Land Rail
Click the image to open in full size.

Speckled Brahma hen back
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future

Frank mentioned dying Starling; if you live where Starlings are a problem to the local farmer or orchardist you might be able to help yourself and him as well. Shoot the little pests for him and you, he harvests more fruit, you harvest an abundance of fly tying material. The males with that beautiful blue black coloring make for some excellent colors for flies, but the hens with their drab brown coloration will make some wonderful feathers for small soft hackles.

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM

One more thing along this path before I am attacked as a barbarian; they are edible. They may not be as tasty as a dove, but you can eat them; and there are no growth hormones in them.

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Pocono,

Here is a photo of a Black-fronted Dotterel. The feathers used for tying seem to be a dark brown. "If the dotterel feather is unobtainable a feather from the under coverts of a young Starling's wing makes a fair substitute".

Frank

Black-fronted Dotterel by Neil Fifer
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

So Pocono, you're back from across the pond! I know from some of your earlier posts that you have most of the standard soft-hackle skins. I'm just keeping an eye on this thread to see if someone comes up with something that I don't have as well! I've been filling in some of the missing links with different dyed hen skins. I like Franks' notation on dyed starling. I hadn't considered that. I know I haven't seen it advertised in any of the standard places.

Just got back from a 3 day 'wetfly' fishing trip to Clinton and Potter County. We fished Kettle Creek, First Fork and Cross Fork. Primarily brookies (Cross Fork) and Rainbows (First Fork and Kettle). Great trip! Warm days and cold nights! Did a little local fishing today. It was a sparse Green Drake hatch. Did most of my catching on a Green Drake wet I tied up.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:58 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

i have these, and others. just got another 12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicks 019.jpg (12.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg chicks 021.jpg (10.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg chicks 022.jpg (14.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg chicks 023.jpg (10.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg chicks 024.jpg (10.4 KB, 12 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..