The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 02:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portable vise?

I have been kicking aroudn the idea of getting a vise that's portable as opposed to the one that I consider more stationary and keep at my bench. Yes I realize I could put this into a bag and haul it with me in my vehicle on trips, but I also fly to some spots to fish. I have found that C&F makes a portable kit, but it is ridiculously expensive. I'm not looking for something like a Thompson or HMH with a clamp, but a pedistal of sorts.

Do you guys have any alternatives, suggestions, opininions?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Portable vise?

Hi jay,

What vise do you use now and is it a pedistal?

Frank
Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank,

I'm using a Peak Rotary with pedistal. I know it's "portable" but the base is far heavier than I'd want to pack to take on an airplane. It will work for keeping in the vehicle. Just kicking around the idea of something smaller, lighter, etc.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have an old D.H. Thompson 360 that I used to take along to the cabin and to Kodiak for replacing lost or damaged flies. It has a clamp type mount and is fairly light. I don't know why I didn't take the Renzitti Traveler (also a clamp mount) that is on my tying bench because I think it's lighter. I have tied a few flies at my destinations when I figured out that the fish wanted a certain color and I only had a few. Other than those few times I have always had plenty of flies and did not need to tie. I haven't taken a tying kit with me anywhere for two years.

A long time ago we used to take vises' along to fish the Salmon River in New York. This was back when I believed you had to have exactly what the guys at the shops said you needed to catch fish. We would buy materials and tie into the night only to find the next morning that the fish did not flock to our new creations. Eventually I figured it out that you could catch the fish with darn near anything as long as you didn't scare the heck outta the fish before you cast to it. Once the confidence level was built up and more catching skills developed I didn't feel I had to tie a special fly before going to bed so I might catch a salmon in the morning.

I guess if I were in your spot and really wanted a vise to take with, I would pick up an affordable clamp mount vise and go.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've used one of these before. They're portable enough that one will fit in your pocket.
To tie, you can either hold it in your hand or screw it into a log (or picnic table )
Click the image to open in full size.

On trips my fishing partner carries one of these. Good quality for the price.
On sale at Cabelas..$25

Click the image to open in full size.

Be advised that clamp style bases do not fit most campground picnic tables
Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Hi Frank,

I'm using a Peak Rotary with pedistal. I know it's "portable" but the base is far heavier than I'd want to pack to take on an airplane. It will work for keeping in the vehicle. Just kicking around the idea of something smaller, lighter, etc.
Have you considered just buying one of Peak's optional clamp mounts? As I recall, they're only about $40. I use one on my main fly-tying station, and they are sturdy and secure.