The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Dumbbell eyes

I see these sold by weight and by size. ie. 7/32" is this the lenght of the eye?
Also see them sold as small, med. or large.
These are going to be for a Clouser and Kwan. Hook size 1/0 down to a #4.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Dumbbell eyes

The zinc eyes are for weight, if you want the look but don't need the weight you can use bead chain to put eyes on a fly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

don't know about the 7/32 sizing but for the hooks you listed, I would use Large or Medium.
Like Hardyreels, I use the Chain for eyes and let the different lines put the fly where I want, but lately I have been using the weighted eyes to basically get the fly down quicker plus better for rivers.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM

patyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
I see these sold by weight and by size. ie. 7/32" is this the lenght of the eye?
Also see them sold as small, med. or large.
These are going to be for a Clouser and Kwan. Hook size 1/0 down to a #4.
I just measured a few of the Dumbell eyes I have and the measurement is the size of the eye from top to bottom. So if you're looking at a clouser tied up from the side it would be the width of the eye you see, not the entire dumbell length. Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Seajay-

It might be better to think in terms of sink rate and “splash down” rather than trying to match up dumbbell size to just hook size for chasing fish in Florida.

You’ll want some stuff that lands gently and sinks slowly for spooky fish in feeding skinny water. Unweighted flies, and flies lightly weighted with medium size bead chain like Gotchas, Mini Puffs would be a good choice.

For fish feeding and milling around in a little deeper water, you’ll want to throw a fly that can land near them without spooking them and settle quickly, some stuff with medium bead chain or x small dumbbells.

And for fast moving cruising fish and getting to the bottom in deeper water, you’ll want flies that will get to depth quickly with small and medium dumbbells.

Because flies with dumb bells can easily shatter a graphite rod if they whack the blank, I would stay away from the large sizes dumbbells at least for now. Eventually you may want to use them on fly patterns like size 2/0 and larger Half and Halfs, and stuff tied with Rabbit strips etc used for deepwater dredging over deepwater humps and channel edges. And casting clousers can be a bit dangerous—so pinch down barbs, wear sunglasses for eye protection and keep your hat on.

Here’s a something to compare labels of dumb bell sizes, and some suggestions for flies to use with them (but not gospel-- feel free to experiment and use what you have on hand):
X small = 5/32” diameter, if made of lead the weight is approximately 1/50 oz (kwan size 1, or 2, clouser size 4)
Small = 3/16” if lead weight approx. 1/36 oz (clouser, copperhead size 2)
Medium = 7/32” if lead weight approx. 1/24 oz Generally for sizes 2-1/0 (clouser size 1/0)
Large = ¼” if lead weight approx. 1/16 oz . Generally for fly sizes 2/0 and up. ones.

Keep in mind that dumbbell eyes are also made in brass (approx 30% lighter than lead), and tungsten (approx 30% heavier than lead) making it confusing when trying to compare between metals.

To get some different sink rates, you might want to tied up some stuff like this:

Kwans size 2 with Medium Beadchain and/or size 1 in x small dumbell
Clousers size 4 x small dumbbell, size 2 small dumbbell, and size 1/0 medium dumbbell

And bead chain, much lighter than dumb bell eyes, can be purchased at a hardware store for much less than in a fly shop. Get a couple feet of size medium (1/8”) Cut it into pairs of “eyes with the cutting edge of needle nosed pliers.

Some good flies with using medium bead chain are Kwans size 1 or 2, Gotchas and Mini Puffs size 4, and flies like Whistlers size 2/0-4/0

Hope this helps--
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Thanks again Mark. Trying to get stuff together to tie some of the ones you sent me instructions for. I would have just sent you a PM but felt the responses would be better here.

seajay
Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The chrome plated brass eyes are listed by diameter because they are machined and are very consistently sized. The lead eyes are classified by more generic measurement because they're not very precisely shaped.

I greatly prefer the brass eyes because they straighten up better, are non-toxic, and don't break off nearly as easy if the fly smacks a rock or boat.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.