Hackle source?

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone have any good sources for US hackles? I just bought out the last of my local shops and looking to see if anyone knows of a shop that carries some good quality US hackle. Seems to be getting hard to find.

Thanks,
--W

MrEsox

Reaction score
Well, I tend to get my own. I bird hunt a lot get ducks, geese, upland, and this year will be getting enough deer hair to work with. Best thing is find someone who bird hunts and see what they can give ya.

wfosborn

Reaction score
Hi MrEsox,

How are you preserving the hide that they are on? I've thought of saving some but I've never had any luck drying the skin out.

--W

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi wfosborn,

I can suggest two good sources. They may not be the cheapest but you can count on their products. I know when you live in Alaska it is important that what your order is good quality. You can spend hours going over their catalogs.

Kaufmann Streamborn

This is where I bought my fly tying materials when I lived in Alaska. I liked them because they are in the Northwest and they fish for big Trout, Salmon and Steelhead. I found that if I called with a particular requirement they would do a good job of picking out what I needed. They fish Alaska and generally do a good job.

Feather-Craft

I like Feather-Craft because they classify some of their feathers by what they are good for. So if I wanted hackle for Buggers I could locate them in their catalog. They also will work with you on the phone. I have gotten some of my best bucktails from here. They also have good spinning hair.

Frank

FISHN50

Reaction score
Try Hook & Hackle in PA. I've got quite a few capes, feathers & stuff from them. I am pretty well satisfied with what they sent & my standards are pretty high.

wfosborn

Reaction score
Thanks for the sources guys, I'll check them out. Getting things like that through the mail is always tough up here so I appreciate it.

Thanks,
--W

MrEsox

Reaction score
Hello again...I've been away for a few days. When I take feathers (hackle) I dont keep the hide. I take what feathers I want and put them into a zip lock bag. I find that keeping them flat, they just keep better. Since I get more birds then I could use I just keep the feathers that I want. Now granted up here in ND female pheasants are very hard to come buy since we are not allowed to shoot them.

MrEsox

Reaction score
Also I find that upland birds dont work well for hackle, waterfowl is better since they have long flank feathers.