The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it just me?

Getting me to sit down to tie flies is like pulling teeth, but once I plant my behind, I can't stop! I sat down today to tie just a couple of flies for this weekend. Chironomids for one Lake and Plat River Spider for another, so I am covered for which ever lake we hit. I then thought, my hubby and his brothers are going and if I catch the first they are all over me for what fly and can they have one. So, I made it a point to tie "8" of everything. MAN I was tying for 6 hours...with an occasional break.

But I think I got us covered LOL
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is it just me?

Join the club, we have jackets. I in the months of febuary to early april I was doing nothing but fly tieing on the weekends, in may it was whenever I got time to. Over the 3 months I think I managed to make around 100 flies then in may I made a few but focused on specific patterns and refining or modification of fly patterns to produce what I needed them to do. Some of my fave patterns I find dont work too well, they are fun to make and I like them a lot, but lack weight to make them sink but very slowely. I luck out since these are my pike flies and I add a small light weight wire leader adding enough weight to make them sink at a good enough rate. Though now that I'm fishing I find that I'm not in my room tieing much anymore. To me flies are more art then anything. The fun part is in whipping them on a fly rod and seeing a fish hit it.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me?

I really enjoy tying and use it kind of like therapy. I have tied a ton of flies I will probably never use. I just like doing it. I noticed that Essox ties Pike flies. I fish them alot. I started tying Reynolds Pike flies using a matching heart bead from the craft store as a head instead of the thread head. It's faster, bigger and more durable. Check out my photos and look at the pike I got by accident with my 5 wt. Toothy fish, we like 'em!
brucerducer likes this.