The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead patterns

I'm going to go steelhead fishing in Wisconsin towards the end of October. I was told to tie some glowbugs and I'm wondering water colors I should use. Or what other fly's I should bring?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 AM

driftless will become famous soon enoughdriftless will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Steelhead patterns

arkman,
Buggers, egg sucking leeches, mickey fins, various streamer patterns, as well as nymphs in the full range of trout sizes. Sometimes you will want them down to a #16 depending on flow level.
Are you fishing the North shore or the East? I'll be on the North shore mid-month and probably a time or two after that then fish the East shore until mid December.
Have a great time!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are getting good answers here. You can get as fancy or as simple as you want with these flies. I used to fish Black Comets in # 4 & 6 pretty much the way you would nymph for trout. I was never a fan of tiny nymphs and 3 - 4 lb tippets so I kept the irons fairly big. I've also caught a good number of fish on Glo Yarn eggs and egg sucking leach flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Arkman, you got great advice from the guys...As far as colors for your Glo-bugs; have an assortment of sizes and colors. For stained water flourescent colors are the ticket. If you have clear water go with more natural pastel colors. Good luck and have fun...

Dan
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

size 12 prince nymphs. estaz egg patterns in roe, pink, white, chartreuse (size 12). comets as mentioned (size 6). i also like tying them in chartreuse/black. glo bugs. bunny leeches. chain eyed clousers with a curly tail (streamers all size 4). sucker spawn.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I just ordered some hooks to tie up some of these. I need to get a little more material and a lot more freetime and I'll be set to go.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM

One more question. What color yarn should I get for the glow bugs
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Pinks, chartruse, orange, and can't leave out yellow. Don't forget some emerald shiner patterns. I can't imagine its all that different from the Erie tribs here so in the fall I like to throw more baitfish type patterns, winter: big bright uglies and then eggs, and in spring: eggs and egg snatchers, sucker spawn, and more baitfish and fry type patterns. I'll admitt I tend not to fish egg patterns much anymore its more fun for me to swing them up but if eggs are your thing don't forget simple estaz eggs they'r easy and quick to tie and you can make millions!