The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 AM

bilder is on a distinguished road
Default Thompson Ultra Vise

Won a kit on Ebay and it has a Thompson Ultra vise in it. It is an older kit that had never been used.

Is the Ultra a decent starter vise? The materials that came with the kit are worth the cost of what I paid, so if it is a no good vise it is not a great loss.

Any of you old timers, er I mean more mature fellows have any experience with this model?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 AM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thompson Ultra Vise

Hi bilder,

That's what I started with and used it for a long time. They definitely aren't the best available, but they will work just fine. Once you get some experience though you'll probably want a nicer vice, I upgraded to a Griffin Montana Mongoose and a Renzetti and they really do grip a hook better as well as having some other nice features.

--W
Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Thompson Ultra Vise

Hi bilder,

I have a Thompson Model "A" on my bench right now. Bought it in 1974. I have one other that my wife use to use. The model 'A" press was the best for its time. I used mine for tying saltwater flies.

Frank