The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Zonkers

ChadPro67 from my fishing forum gave me these flies when I met up with him! He just started tying and damn these are some nice ties! I can't for the life of me do these zonkers! I can't get that mylar body down without it unraveling and these ones look like you could get them from shop! thanks for the flies chadpro! heres those zonkers!
a white one and a olive one!
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Zonkers

Gotta love the Zonker! I tie mine clouser style upside down and then I'll just wrap the mylar tube around the lead tape ( I use non-lead). Its easier and quicker and I get the same results just put a dab of zapagap ove the area you want covered and your golden. Plus when its tied upside down the hook gap stays clear without sacrificing any weight.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

As always George good job on the fly...now try making them oh say 5x larger with about a 2-3 inch tail and you'll be as good as me lol. Ive been working the last few years with zoker flies and have had very good results with big pike and smallies, I know how u love smallies.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEsox View Post
As always George good job on the fly...now try making them oh say 5x larger with about a 2-3 inch tail and you'll be as good as me lol. Ive been working the last few years with zoker flies and have had very good results with big pike and smallies, I know how u love smallies.
this wasn't my tie. my buddy made them. I can't do it! I suck at it! lol

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

OOO ya looks like I should read once in a while, dont u think? lol

they are good but, they are not that tuff to ty. If I can do it, U can too. The hardest part is trying to get the amount of mylar U want on thier. Too much and it will be crushed by the zonker strip. Too little and U wont get a good profile or a good look. THe biggest thing is you need to ty off the front and back then add the strip, this requires u spools. This is tricky I will say...but as long as you can get it in line, ur good. Ive done very well with large zonkers on pike and ssb. Sry no pics of mine though I'll have to try and get some up at some point.