The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Loon Hard Head Fly Finish

I've been using this finish on my streamers to give them a black finish on the head. I don't use it a whole lot, but I the last few times I've used it, it globs up on the fly.

Is there anything I can do to get back the smooth finish, i.e. add a tad of water to it, or is it shot and I need to get some more?
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Loon Hard Head Fly Finish

I'm pretty sure a few drops of water will get the consistency back where you want it.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I have the same issues with Hard as Hull. Like Ghostdncr said with the Loon products they are water based so a few drops might do it. I have to use a thinner to get mine back to a smooth consistancy or I apply it with an old quill and "butter" it up. I know we all like our heads to be smooth and polished looking but I don't think it matters a whole lot to the fish and all those little wrinkles and creases could kind of act as little facets to reflect light around a little differently than a smooth head, just an idea. I only tend to care when I'm tying traditional type speys, most of the time I fish rabbits and leeches so it never matters in my eyes.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it would play well with water or not. I'll try it out and see what happens.

And if it's doesn't work, I'll take WT's stance and say it's supposed to look like that.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Anthony,

Loon actually sells a reducer for the stuff or they recommend distilled water as a thinner. I have tried the compound myself and had problems with it. I use Wapsi head cement and a two coat finish. This stuff has been working for me for many years. It is simple to use (apply with dubbing needle) and keep the lid on tight, it stays pretty consistent as far as viscosity goes.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks Ard. I liked the Loon stuff at first because I only needed on coating but I'm assuming evaporation has kind of changed that. I think I'll pick up some of that Wapsi stuff to compare.

I finish a fly and it looks like someone was already gnawing on it.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I thin Loon's Hard Head with denatured alcohol.