The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Stick-on Eyes

This seems like a stupid question, but I gotta ask. Is there a rule of thumb for what color eyes to put on a fly?
I need to get some for a "Double Bunny" tie. That, plus I've always wondered for other fly patterns.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stick-on Eyes

Not that i know of--- if you're imitating a specific baitfish, I suppose you'd want to try and match color pupil---

But I just generally try and use a color that contrasts with color of the head-- on a black head silver prismatic (or yellow or white paint) with black pupil--- on a light colored head maybe a gold or green metallic (or red paint) with a black pupil?

The big question is what color to use for the eye lashes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks Mark. That's exactly the advice I needed.

LOL, gotcha on the eyelashes. And, maybe a little double bunny lipstick.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie you can also use plastic eyes which look realistic have a look here:Mc Nerney's minnow
you can stick two plastic beads on a little piece of a cooper wire and fix it near the eye of your hook.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks Jean-Paul. I'll try that. Does the hole in the bead stay open or do you fill it?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie here are some explainations...and pics
Click the image to open in full size.
Just find a copper or iron wire which is nearly the same diameter of the plastic bead hole...put some superglue...when it's dry cut the wire on each side with pliers.
You can also stick plastic beads on an articulated head (see pics) the way the streamer swims is different when you pull and stop...and it's a bit heavier
hope it can help...pics are from an article I wrote in january 1991it makes me feel my age
I'm going to repost this in the little trick to share thread...
Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Very nice Jean-Paul. Thank You.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome Jimmie