The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Dry Fly Wings of duck quill

Some dry flies use matching sections of duck quill (like a Royal Coachman). I haven't had much luck, the sections seem to fall apart before I can tie them on the hook. I'm wondering how well these flies hold up after catching a fish
In any event, do you just have to be super delicate with this material? Any tips on tying on these type wings.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry Fly Wings of duck quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
Some dry flies use matching sections of duck quill (like a Royal Coachman). I haven't had much luck, the sections seem to fall apart before I can tie them on the hook. I'm wondering how well these flies hold up after catching a fish
In any event, do you just have to be super delicate with this material? Any tips on tying on these type wings.

Duck Quill is actually a very durable material, and seems to look better after a few fish.
And honestly gives me fits at the bench, I still fight it too much.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 AM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Dry Fly Wings of duck quill

Hi Red Owl,I have a jig made from alum that splits the wing quills into dry fly wings and holds them in place,then you apply thin head cement to the wing base,then cut them off with a scissors,the part that splits them looks like a course metal comb,if you use one right and one left quill you can make two dozen wings in a couple of minuets,the bases are glued and they will not come apart,the part that is glued ends up under your thread,this thing works great.I don't remember the name ,I will try and find it for you.

have a good and safe day.

Wayne Valley Fire Service,Valley Springs Calif.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Well that sounds like it would work. I could probably use a razor or exacto knife to split matching quills. then apply cement along the base of the quill. I could then precisely measure the hook gap and cut matching wings of equal width. I tie in place and then cut off the excess which includes the cemented base. Is that what you are saying? Thanks for the help.
Also, in applying the glue, do you go up a little on the feather, usually there is plenty of material.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 AM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Dry Fly Wings of duck quill

Red Owl that is correct. you can obtain the wing width by using a tooth pick,as you can see the wide side of the quill can be 1.5 to 2 inches wide,you cement it at the base of the quill,all you want is that the wings stay together until you try them to the hook,after they are tried you cut off the excess short,I would suggest after you try them on use a half hitch or a whip finish knot and some cement before cutting them off short.

have a good and safe day.

Wayne Valley Fire Service,Valley Springs Calif.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Back when I was a teenager I use the Quill Wing Coachman fly a lot. I found even if you didn't catch a fish the quill wing would split and after a while the wings were fragmented. I wasn't much of a caster then and that may have had a lot to do with the fly wing fragmenting. The fly seemed to work better fragmented and I eventually went to a Hair Wing Coachman. I found that the hair wing caught just as many fish. If it was me I wouldn't bother with the quill wing at all. Just tye the Royal Wulff and be done with it.

The Royal Wulff is a great indicator fly in size 10.

Frank

Kaufmann Royal Wulff
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

You can also use polywing and colour it to suit with a marker pen tie it in the same as the hair wing this stuff wont absorb water too
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

If you can get the first issue of Hatches magazine, there's a whole article on tying quill wings. The one thing that I personally would not due is to put any glue on any part of the quill slips until after it is tied on and the wings are set in their upright position. Then I would only put a drop in between the wings at the base to help keep them seperated and keep the barbs in alighnment. Putting glue on any put of the quill before hand will stop the barbs from moving and keep you from getting a good wing shape.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Outstanding fly tying! I have never seen a dry version of the Brook Fin. Very nice winging schrob. I can't help but notice that you got the winding of the quill body perfect along with the tinsel on the BF. I really enjoy seeing that people still tie in traditional fashion and you are very good.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Schrob,your flies are real beauties! Great classical tying.Congratulations