The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Head Cement or Super Glue?

Good old lacquer head cement. Apply with the bodkin and build up coats for a nice gloss.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sammario, I think you can get the glue you were talking about from Chris Helm; sorry I don't have a link. Do a Google Search for him and a link to his shop should come up.

Dan
Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 PM

samario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Sammario, I think you can get the glue you were talking about from Chris Helm; sorry I don't have a link. Do a Google Search for him and a link to his shop should come up.

Dan
Thanks, Dan. I have a message off to him and am hoping it works out. Again, many thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 AM

samario is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Head Cement or Super Glue?

Hey, HuronRiverDan!

Thanks again for the lead. I spoke with Chris tonight and placed an order. He has the rights to that glue and it is now back in production for him. I also bought a bunch of fly-tying stuff for bass bugs in hopes that my sons will make good use of it. Chris is a very helpful guy.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayodonn View Post
Thanks all! Speaking of epoxy, does anyone have trouble with air bubbles? I use 2-part Devcon 5 min epoxy and mix it as gently as possible. I still end up with bubbles and it drives me nuts! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

FYI - I mix equal parts on a smooth piece of plastic using a small piece of wood. No rough surfaces to incorporate air into the mixture.
Yes I have trouble with air bubbles too, and I mix it very slowly too. I think you can heat it to release the bubbles...but I haven't played with this stuff in a while, got side tracked on a bunch of swaps.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jayodonn,

Bubbles can be a problem in epoxy. I have found that if you fold the mixture instead of swishing or whipping together makes a difference. I like to use ice cream sticks. I also mix on a flat piece of Polypropylene tape. Epoxy won't stick to the tape.

Another option is Acraglass Gel. It is a one to one mix and you can color it. It has a longer drying period but the gel tends to stay in one place. It is not cheap but I have used it for years in gun work. There is no shrinkage and it is a heck of a glue. There is very little problem with bubbles if you fold the mix. Available from Brownell's.

Don't over look the hot glue gun. Feather-Craft has several colors available.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 11-21-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

folding it in , now that is a good idea, I will try that next time
Old 11-23-2009, 05:52 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Nice tech tip Frank.........excellant info.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"