The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Fancy Marabou

Hi to all,

I was just looking at Feather-Craft and this Fancy Marabou caught my eye. These would make some dandy size 10 streamers for pan fish. They come in seven different colors.

Frank

Feather-Craft Fancy Marabou
Click the image to open in full size.

Size 10 FC Marabou Streamer
Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fancy Marabou

Hi Frank,

Just curious as to how FeatherCrafts marabou cost is in relation to what anyone would buy at their local fly shop ?

I know many times the price looks good, but till you tack on shipping it's about the same as the shop.

Is it a better quality material ? I'm never opposed to buying GOOD stuff.

Are all the patterns you showed for panfish ? They look great !

Tie One On-------------------<*)))))))))><
Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi tie one on,

If you go to the link I included you will see the price of the strung Marabou. You are right that sometimes the shipping is more than the material. If you were ordering something else it may be worth while.

I have found the materials from Feather-Craft to be top notch. They buy big lots and sort according to grade. The good stuff is more expensive and I am willing to pay for it. The sell off the lower quality as such and at a better price. The problem with a local store is they try to buy materials that they get the best profit from. That makes it hard sometimes to buy the best stuff from a local shop. This is not true with all shops and some do a good job of providing good materials. Take a neck for instance. There are not many local shops that stock Gold grade Whiting necks. If the have Whiting at all it will be Silver or Bronze. Take a look at the percentage of grades that Whiting sells. I found it interesting.

These Marabou Streamers should be good for trout and Smallmouth Bass. I especially liked the brown/black in the lower left of the picture.

Frank

Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Great looking marabou there Frank. Thing is I'm guessing they are small feathers. Do they have a larger type? I would look at getting some of this since 90% of my flies use marabou but I need larger feathers, something like you get in the spun marabou.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Fraink, those marabou feathers look really cool. Can you tell any difference in the fish's reaction to flies tied with it?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Kelkay,

I don't know if they would be any different than other quality marabou. Flies and especially streamers, tied with marabou have a special action. The feather is so light it has great motion if stripped or moved with the rod tip. Every time you stop a marabou streamer the feather flares out with a deadly action. That is one reason tails made with marabou are so effective.

Frank
Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Those look good, and remind me of these I noticed in a catalog the other day Kaufmanns' Streamborn, Inc. | Tip Dyed Marabou Kinda pricey though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:20 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well I have never had quality marabou. All I have is just what you get at BPS, or Cabelas. I will check into the higher quality stuff, thanks for putting photos up of them, real nice.