The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default All white flies

I have heard of people tying flies with all white materials then they would color the flies to the right color with permanent markers on the river. Has anyone heard of doing this? If so, what would be the advantages and dis-advantages? I would think that it might work for certain patterns. One of the problems I see with it is trying to find the right color of marker. I don't know if they make an olive colored marker. Would the marker be hazardous to the fish?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

I am thinking of tying some foam flies. I have alot of white foam and was wondering if I could use it without dying it first.

John
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All white flies

For foam, definitely yes. You can get Pantone pens and other brands of permanent ink pens at an art/crafts store (probably a big stationery store/Staples place too). They come in all kinds of colors/shades. Obviously, look for ones that are permanent not water soluble ink.

And of course some guys use them on streamer type flies to make barred marks like perch, on stuff like synthetics and bucktail, and the backs of large stonefly nymphs to make the top darker than the bottom.

For more conventional types of flies, like trout dry flies and stuff though, with dubbing, hackle etc, I wouldn't go that route and would prefer to tie with stuff that was the right color to begin with.

good luck

peregrines
Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi John,

I agree with peregrines. I guess an all white size 10 Wulff would make a good indicator fly. If you make some foam flies those would be easy to color. It just seems like a lot of work on the stream. I would rather have the right flies for the water all ready tied and ready to go.

Frank
Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I think that for many flies, especially trout flies, you wouldn't have the natural translucency that are in the materials used for tying specific patterns. Some materials that work well when dyed stand up just fine to the markers. Buck tail, deer hair and synthetics are what come to mind.