The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Orange beads???

Tonight I was watching a fly tying video. The tyer mentioned "not the illegal orange bead". Are there places certain color beads are illegal?
The sites that I went after googling that subject never specifically addressed that question. There were hints that it might not be OK in Alaska, and other states in fly fishing only water. One said beads used to be illegal, and now OK. Anyone know whether or not it's OK in their state? I don't know about mine yet.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Orange beads???

Jimmie,

I don't know about the laws and how they vary from place to place, they are quite legal here in AK. Many people use them (plastic beads) and don't agree with me on the issue. I think the use of any facsimiles other than a traditional "Fishing Fly" constructed of feathers, furs, etc. wound about a hook should be banned in any fly fish only / catch & release waters. If a fisherman is so desperate to feel a fish on the line that they will tie a plastic facsimile onto the end of a fly line then that person should use bait and traditional spin/bait casting tackle and be banned from fly fish only, C&R waters.

Wow, I am hard case on the bead fishermen huh ................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2010, 03:03 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jimmie,

I don't know about the laws and how they vary from place to place, they are quite legal here in AK.

....then that person should use bait and traditional spin/bait casting tackle and be banned from fly fish only, C&R waters.
:

Ard, personal choices aside, as I understand it beeds alone are NOT legal here in AK in FF only areas... Correct?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I am not sure, I don't fish the Russian but years ago the trout there were all torn up by the way beads are used. The bead is pinned 3 - 6" from a small hook, when the fish takes the bead the "Fly Fisherman" strikes usually driving the hook into the side of the fishes jaw opposite the "Fly Fisherman" using the plastic bead.

Jeez, I am down on that..............

Sorry

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I am not sure, I don't fish the Russian but years ago the trout there were all torn up by the way beads are used. The bead is pinned 3 - 6" from a small hook, when the fish takes the bead the "Fly Fisherman" strikes usually driving the hook into the side of the fishes jaw opposite the "Fly Fisherman" using the plastic bead.

Jeez, I am down on that..............

Sorry
As you know I'm just getting into the sport, but as I read the regs today, beads alone are not legal here in FF only areas & the beads have to be no more than 2" from the hook (at least on the KP).
Looking forward to that cup of coffee soon...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM

constructeur is on a distinguished road

I've seen some sexy 'eggish' speys posted on another forum before!

Ard- What were people fishing in AK before the bead became so popular?
and thanks for the forum invite, I'm enjoying reading through the Salmon fly tie along at the moment.

-Terry
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I am with ard on this.. Here in Pa. under special regs you are not allowed to use beads that way, or any molded factsimilie of baits, eggs, or insects.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'll admit I tried the whole bead thing a while back and felt lame!! I mean really how hard is it to tie and egg pattern if thats your method of choice. In my eyes I think they should not be allowed in fly only or C&R areas. I don't fish eggs or nymph anymore I'de rather get them on a swung fly.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I am in shock that a bead could be illegal to use for a fly. I put a red bead on the Red A$$ Nymph fly, and I think it improves the look. I never thought it was cheating, just more flashy. A bead is no worse then flashabou, or krystal flash in my opinion. The only thing I can see is if they have a fly fishing spot only, and wanted you to pinch down your barbs, or have barbless hooks. That I can see. But to not allow beads, that is just weird in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 PM

In my area of Alaska, the bead restriction in FF only areas only applies to a bead alone, nothing else on the leader but a hook & maybe weight. If the bead is part of a real fly (like an egg sucking leach) it's a different story.