The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Need Bass fly help!

Next Sat. 10/23 I'm going Bass fishing on a lake with guys from our FF club. It will be the first time Bass fishing since the early 70's when we used the fairly new rubber worms. I need help. I've got a week to tie up some flies to take. Any ideas/favorites? Thank you in advance.
We'll probably be float tubing. I'll be taking a 6 wt rod.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:06 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Need Bass fly help!

I used this website (Home - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean) A LOT when I first started tying for bass. But, I will say that I've found that larger flies catch larger fish. You may not catch as many bass using a foot long diver, but when you DO catch one, its worth the wait. good luck!!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:43 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Awesome site. Thanks rmooney. Already picked three to tie.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Generally speaking, clearer water requires use of smaller flies. Just keep that in mind and maybe tie some size 6 Clousers instead of lots of rat sized mega-divers.

Clousers and buggers will throw easier on a 6wt anyway.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Woolly Buggers with krystal flash and a bead head work good. I know lots of folks love poppers, and also Dahlberg Divers. I seem to like a Gartside Sparrow really well. It depends on the kind of bass, and are you fishing from a boat, or what? How about a leech pattern? That pulls them in for me as well. I like a bead head, and I like mohair leeches...pick it out to make it look buggy. It may not be the best looking fly, but it works. I like to use rabbit for the tail.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Slump busters in black, purple and white allways did me justice, try a few with different sized cones to adjust depth.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have been doing well on all black crease flies with black buctail for a tail and 2 peices of gold krystal flash tied a a #6 long shank. I fish them very slow and tight to cover. twitch twitch long pause twitch twitch, sometimes the strikes can be very explosive, a fun fly to fish. The crease fly is mainly a saltwater pattern but a down sized version works well for LMB.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

You got some good advice on patterns so far... I would add maybe a muddler minnow and I've caught some on some big, bushy comparadun drys before.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Don't rule out bunny leeches. I tie them on a size 6 hook and add some DNA fiber along with a chenile estaz head
Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM

You guys are awesome. I Thank You all.
Well I better get started tying.

Last edited by Jimmie; 10-19-2010 at 01:53 PM.