The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 04:11 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Re: Fly Tying Vise - need advise

I am very glad that I bought the fly tying vise.. helped my life so much simple and produce much better results..

Old 10-25-2008, 07:49 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
Of all the flies I tied... I use only with my left hand holding the fly hook... bloody hard to tie them....
Thats good practice---ive seen pictures of Lee Wulff tying flies off hand---sometimes ill tie clousers and deceivers without a vise but they are 1/0 hooks and i use a lot of half hitches---i had a dyna-king barracuda (all stainless i think) and didnt like the rotary and sold it and still use a regal---old dog/new trick thing
be safe mike
Old 11-01-2008, 06:23 PM

pneumatic is on a distinguished road

Just a note - try to stay away from Renzetti at all costs. They filed a very frivolous patent for the simple bend in the vice arm. Of course, the patent office just grants patents to any idiot who files for one, these days - so they granted the patent to Renzetti, who then proceeded to start suing others in the industry.

Don't get me wrong - patents have their place. But when you can't do something so simple as bend some metal without paying Renzetti a hefty fee, then the consumers MUST fix the problem by avoiding them like the plague.

Notice how the PEAK vise has had to work-around the simple bend by machining an extra part to sit in place of it. This is really, really wrong. It cost PEAK less money to machine this part than to pay the patent license to Renzetti.

Avoid Renzetti at ALL COSTS! Their business ethics make me want to puke.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I love my Regal...

Dan
Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Follow-up...

Dont get me wrong, the Dyna-King Barracuda Vise is nice but after awhile I find its not really for me. If you are tying the same size hook for maybe commercial sales or fly swaps... it would be fine. But changing different size hooks from time to time is beginning to annoy me.

I have seen that Regal Vise with spring loaded seems to be a better option for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
Follow-up...

Dont get me wrong, the Dyna-King Barracuda Vise is nice but after awhile I find its not really for me. If you are tying the same size hook for maybe commercial sales or fly swaps... it would be fine. But changing different size hooks from time to time is beginning to annoy me.

I have seen that Regal Vise with spring loaded seems to be a better option for me.
Bluebird---that exactly what i had done---sold the new Barracuda and went back to the Regal---I couldnt get used to the bobbin off to the side and not hanging straight down.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:44 PM

ok.. here I am again... I am very greatful that Frank W enlightened me on how should I expect for a vise. I tend to switch from 1 size to the other. I just have to learn to be organized and make plans on what I am trying to accomplish.

So the DK Barracuda is going to be around with me for now...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Dr. Blue Dun is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Fly Tying Vise - need advise

I have generally stayed away from Renzetti because of their use of a small weak screw to hold the hook and their "recent" use of the cam has improved their ability to hold hooks. However, they still don't hold the #20---24 well at all. I have used Dyna King Pro (with midge jaws) for about 25 years and love the vise. However I recently saw the new Super-duper Baracuda and I might have weakened a wee bit towards using a rotary. Of course there is also the HMH which is still one of the finest vises available and with a great selection of all sizes of jaws. I still think the machine work and overall ruggedness of Dyna-King makes it number one with me.