The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Fly Tying Vise - need advise

I am looking for a pedestal rotary type Fly Tying Vise and looking for the following two that I am interested...

Folks, any advice are greatly appreciated... thanks...

Renzetti Traveler Cam Model
Click the image to open in full size.

Dyna-King: Barracuda Jr. Trekker Vise
Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly Tying Vise - need advise

Hi BlueBird,

Those are two good vises. Here is a link to a Fly Fisherman Magazine article on most of the available vises. You might want to also add the Renzertti Presentation 2000 to your short list. The 2000 has the advantage of the hinged arm similar to that used in the Master vise.

Frank

Renzetti Presentation 2000
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks Frank fopr the quick response.... I am so excited to get one of them for my weekend fly tying... Of all the flies I tied... I use only with my left hand holding the fly hook... bloody hard to tie them....
Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 PM

I just read the review... I just realized that the Dyna-King Trekker Jr has aluminum and plastic parts... that's somewhat a drawback... I will just go for the Renzetti vise....
Old 10-17-2008, 02:39 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

If you want a true rotary vise. Go for the Nor-Vise with a fine point jaw. (new - Nor-Vise Web About Us Page)
tob1
Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Holding the hook with your left hand! Wow! How long have you been doing that? I'm going to try to tie a fly viceless this weekend just to see how impossibly hard that's got to be. Did you use your teeth a lot, too?

Enjoy your new hardware!

Snaggy
<°((((~{
Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM

docdahlonega is on a distinguished road

Bluebird I have had a Renzetti Traveler for several years and have tied a thousand flies with it. The problems I have had with it include problems with the jaws not holding the hooks and the rotary arm losing tension, causing me to have to stop and readjust it before continuing. From reading other posts online, this is a common problem. I would not buy another Traveler. I saved my pennies and recently bought a Snowbee-Waldron rotary vise. I love this thing. It is smooth and even though I'm no engineer, it appears to be well made.Hope this helps. Mike
Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I used a $7 piece of junk 30 years ago, bought a Griffin 2A a few years
ago, and now have a Peak Rotary vise. I'm in heaven with the Peak!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I second the peak- just love it! Awesome! But I was using an old hobbs creek fly tying vice before the Peak. I would also look at this article in addition to the one that Frank gave you. Go straight to the summary at the bottom of the page first if you want. So many Vices, So Little Time!
I read them both and a few other reviews before I purchased the Peak.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Snaggy, not that long... lol... i have tied like maybe 100 different flies already... the smallest hook i can manage is #16 with a help from small longnose plier with rubberband. With hooks up to #10, I hold them with my thumb and pointing finger. bucktail hair gets so messy and kept on falling off before I can tie them on the hook. LOL

thanks folks for the tips and advise...

i went to the store and they dont have the renzetti model that I am looking for.. so I ended up getting the Dyna-King Barracuda Vise (the big one) - pedestal model.

All metal and great rotary vise...