The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Re: Magic Tool, standard

Yipee!! I found a local store here in New York City that sells that Magic Tool. Got it!! Can't wait to get home and try it...
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Last night as I was tying a centipede fly immitation and my wife just got curious by looking over my shoulder then she said "hey, those are cool looking stuff you tying". then she grabs it off but I still have the thread on and then WHAM... she screamed!! her finger got hooked (but that bad). She didnt see the black thread still attached to the fly.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bluebird,

I am hoping that you give us a report on the Magic Tool after you get everything sorted out.

Frank
Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob1 View Post
Very nice tool . I have used it for 3 years now. Get Serafil thread then you donīt need to make loops. Serafil thread is 2 cordell thread and is very easy to split (antitwist the thread with your fingers and put your scissor point in the loop - then open up and put the material from the tools inside the loop)
Trygve
Benicchi thread also splits well for use as a dubbing loop. The Magic Toll/Benicchi combo is how I hackle fox fur tips for bugger hackle.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:05 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
Last night as I was tying a centipede fly immitation and my wife just got curious by looking over my shoulder then she said "hey, those are cool looking stuff you tying". then she grabs it off but I still have the thread on and then WHAM... she screamed!! her finger got hooked (but that bad). She didnt see the black thread still attached to the fly.
I was about to ask you for the specific store in NYC that you found the magic tool, but that seems rather insensitive right now after your wife's injury. How's she doing? How was the hook removed- do it yourself? Docs place?

In any case, I think I can speak for others here in that we wish her well, hope for a quick healing-up, and hope she doesn't campaign against the dangers of this sport too strongly after that incident.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Jose, she's ok. thanks for asking.. not that deep, just a puncture and little blood comes out... but.. she's fine..

I got hooked also for the same damn fly... the centipede pattern is a killer... LOL

Oh I got that "Magic Tool" from Urban Angler at New York City (corner 25th street, Broadway and Park Ave). For the number and direction... go to www.UrbanAngler.com.

Great tool!!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:35 PM

I used the Magic Tool today but my thread is so thin and can't split them... so, instead, I twisted using a whipping tool.

this is the fly... awesome device...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

BlueBird

Nice looking fly, looks like your putting that magic tool to good use!

Larry
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Cranking out more flies...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:47 AM

Its getting more interesting now... every night when we both get home from work. My wife would always asked me whats the next fly pattern I will be tying. She look look into all my fly tying books and pick a couple of very nice cool patterns but hard to tie flies (for my level of experience).

Whenever I finish a nice one she would ask me to find and join Fly Swaps and so eager to receive stuffs from the fly swaps. Like the one hosted by Joni. She can't wait to get to see the other people's work.

I told her how about I will bring her to a fly shop and she can check out the thousands of available flies.. lol