The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 05:33 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default new vise

been looking at getting a new vise. was wondering if i should wait and save my money and buy a renzetti or the griffin montana mongoose or something similiar? i've also looked at the griffin spider and the peak variety at basspro shops.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up Re: new vise

i would defintely be interested. although i can't afford the master vise. i could afford to go in the same price range as the griffin montana mongoose. although i can't commit to this untill the end of october beginning of november.( have to wait on my aniversary check at work) the one thing i liked about the mongoose was that it comes with the case, both a clamp and pedestal base, and some other tools. but i'm going to invest in a better vise for sure. going with a renzetti i would probally go with a traveler series. keep me informed on your decision.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: new vise

I've not ever used the Griffin MM, but it looks functionally very similar to the more reasonable Renzetti's. My favorite bobbins are Griffin's and mine have held up very well over the years.

I don't know much of anybody who I think can rationalize requiring a Renzetti Master vise and nothing else. I'll agree that its the best one out there, but one of their cam traveler vises would be perfectly sufficient for all normal tying needs. If you are concerned about needing a vise with "saltwater" (big fly) capability, that title can be misleading. When "saltwater" is used to describe both vises and flash materials, "offshore" would be more accurate. The Renzetti Traveler will easily handle flies all the way up to a 3/0 mouse or streamer. "Saltwater" vises are necessary only when you need to tie stuff between 3/0 and 10/0. Calling that a saltwater vise means that a 12wt is a typical saltwater rod. (preceeding comments may not have been necessary, but just thought I'd point that out.)

I would recommend going ahead and getting something like a Renzetti Traveler or the Griffin MM rather than the many sub $100 vises out there. I bought a Dan-vise years ago and still wish I had held out for something better. The dan-vise is mostly great, but the bobbin cradle needs improvement and the cam now makes a near-painful squak when closed. Can't beat it for $80, but those other options are worth it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 AM

thanks for the info. don't think that i would ever need to tie something as big as a 3/0 or bigger. it all depends on if thefullcreel decides to go through with the renzetti. if he doesn't then i'll go with the griffin mm.

hate to say this bigcliff in a way my wife agreed with you. save my money and buy a better one and not regret it in the long run.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:53 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Danvise is great. I have one and it runs like $80
Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The saying "better to buy the best once than cheap stuff many times" Has served me well. (especially when I was selling $600 Sage rods.) This would actually be the ideal time to look up some local fly fishing clubs to do more research. The members would likely be able to tell you which vises they like best, and would likely give you a chance to tie on some of the one's you are considering.

I'm not knocking the Dan-Vise, mine has served me well. Just saying that it does have some shortcomings. It's also built overseas and I believe Renzett and Griffin are both mfg everything here. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 PM

unfourtanely i can't do the local tying club and the local bass fishing club. all these clubs like to meet on a thursday night while i'm at work.( yes i'm a second shifter) for this reason i was thinking that i would go up to the place where i bought my tying kit and look at and see if they would let me try one. fiqure it can't hurt to ask. my wife agraid as long as a i agree that it would be my x-mas present to myself. have to say that i'm probally leaning more to toward the mongoose just because i plan on going to bigdon's house before work and tying with him. like the idea of the carrying case. the renzetti isn't out of the picture either. going that rought though i would end up getting the carrying case to go along with it and probally some extra tools also.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:17 AM

BIGDON will become famous soon enoughBIGDON will become famous soon enough

I'm IN BIGDON
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 AM

talked to a gentleman from a local fly tying club and fly shop at the local fly shop. the renzetti came very highly recommended from him. he totally tore up the dynaking said he didn't like the jaws on this vise at all. he said that the montana mongoose from griffin is a very nice vice but he said that for the same money that he'd go with the renzetti traveler cam.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:38 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Freeze69,

I have been tying flies for years with a non-rotating vise. I did a lot of research on the internet because I wanted to purchase a rotary vise. All the classes I've taken at a local fly shop near me used rotary ones, so I became spoiled using one. I really wanted a Renzetti ( $170 for the cheapest) but after my research I found that the Peak vise ( $129) was rated extremely well in all my research & I bought one. I've been tying with it for several months now & love how it works for me. ( Just as good as a Renzetti to me ) They do have a website, check it out. ( I purchased mine from Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan, but you can buy them directly from the manufacturer.

Good Luck,

Tie One On