The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default I need some Bucktails

So the Salmon are starting to run and I need to stock up on Bucktails.

I need White, Chartreuse, and Hotpink or Pink...

I want to know if you guys have any suggestions on where to get some good bucktails.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: I need some Bucktails

Hi smallieman,

The key word here is "Good" Buck tail. The best I have ever gotten were from Feather-Craft. They have northern Whitetail Deer tails and every one I have are excellent. I have not bought any in a few years but I doubt they have dropped in quality.

Frank
Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The best quality bucktails that I have seen are the Northern Bucktails distributed by Hareline. They seem to have the most usable fibers compared to any other tail on the market.

I tie with bucktails distributed by Wapsi Prodcuts. There are plenty of usable fibers.

I believe that one of the forum sponsors, reelflyrod.com, is a brick and mortar fly shop. Give the staff a call at (937) 434-8472.

MP
Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Collect some from your deer hunting friends and dye them yourself with Kool-Aid

knitty.com
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/docs/Dyin...hers%20101.pdf
Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
So the Salmon are starting to run and I need to stock up on Bucktails.

I need White, Chartreuse, and Hotpink or Pink...

I want to know if you guys have any suggestions on where to get some good bucktails.

Thanks
Are the buck tails for spinning, or streamers? I like Salt Water Edge, and Chris Helm has some good buck tail from Whitetail Fly Tying Supplies.
Whitetail Fly Tieing - Chris Helm
I hear Chris has the best deer hair for spinning. I know that Feather Craft also has some quality buck tails. I have had good luck with Rumph buck tails, but have not tried that many of them. It is best if you can see them in person, before you buy. If you call the dealer, they can hand pick the kind of buck tail you need, and in the colors you want. I called Chris, and told him exactly what I was using mine for, and he got me some nice tails in the mail a while back. I plan to buy from him again. I like long, straight tails the best. (I tie a lot of streamers)