The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM

fxp is on a distinguished road
Default left handed scissors

hi to all
As a leftie I have adapted to much of the right handed world including tying right handed (hook eye to the right, bobbin in the right hand) but I still need to cut lefthanded for fine motor control. There is a big void in lefthanded scissors suited for tying. I can find general use scissors and manicure and embriodery scissors in true left hand but the one source I found for tying scissors, Anvil, no longer makes them. Does anyone have a source for true left handed tying scissors?
thanks

fxp
Old 11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: left handed scissors

Hi fxp,

I didn't know there was such a thing. Wouldn't any scissors with big finger holes work for anyone? What about the style of scissors like the bottom picture. They should work for a lefty.

If I am wrong would you please educate me.

Frank

Dr Slick Razor Scissors
Click the image to open in full size.

Dr Slick Finishing Scissors
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

FXP

Like Frank, I didn't realize that anyone made left handed scissors. I'm left handed and I use scissors like Frank suggested.

Larry
Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

reminds me of the time I was in sherwin williams and my buddy asked for left handed paint brushes. jk lol... anyways. seriously tho. just get some scissors like frank or me posted. they are universal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31204.JPG (80.6 KB, 3 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 AM

fxp is on a distinguished road

thenks for the quick repiies. alas , there is a real mechanical dirrerence cutting with the left hand. the squeezing action of thumb and fingers pushes the blades apart instead of together and the cut line is hidden by the top blade. the following are from various web sites:
Left-handed scissors have the blades reversed so the top blade is always on the left so that you can see your cutting line and the natural squeezing action of your hand pushes the blades together so they can cut like a guillotine rather than pushing them apart so the paper bends between the blades.
Often, left-handers learn to operate right-hand scissors by compensating with the unnatural hand action of pulling the thumb bow in and thrusting the finger bow outward as the handles close. Some scissors are sold as "left-hand" when only handles are contoured for the left hand but the blades are still arranged for right-hand pressure. The left-hander struggles to cut using the same unnatural hand action.

Attachment 1192

1. Using left handed scissors

so if any fly shop owners are reading this please check your back room for that pair of Anvil 70 ultimate lefty series that never sold and let me know!! the company was very nice to me on the phone tho. it costs twice as much to fabricate these and the low demand plus competition from China equals We don't make them anymore.
thanks

fxp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lefty scissors.jpg (45.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I will find the site that specializes in left hand implements. It really exists. Will post it here when I find it.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Could not find the specific site I was looking for, but if you just type "Left handed scissors" in the search bar you will find hunderd of sites that carry left handed scissors.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all,

This must be a left hander thing.

I took my scissors and cut with both my left and right hand. I cut with my palm up and palm down. I always cut with the scissors flat against the fly. Since I cut with the tips I just couldn't see any problem. The tips are so thin I don't see how they could block your view. I guess I don't understand the problem.

Are there any other left handed fly tiers that have the problem that fxp is describing?

Frank
Old 11-08-2008, 12:24 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

This must be a left hander thing.

I took my scissors and cut with both my left and right hand. I cut with my palm up and palm down. I always cut with the scissors flat against the fly. Since I cut with the tips I just couldn't see any problem. The tips are so thin I don't see how they could block your view. I guess I don't understand the problem.

Are there any other left handed fly tiers that have the problem that fxp is describing?

Frank
Frank (or any right hander), pick up a pair of right handed scissors in your right hand and move your thumb & fingers so as to close the blades while watching the relative motion of your thumb verus your fingers. Your fingers naturally pull back in towards the palm of your hand while your thumb naturally pushes away from your palm. If you look at the way the blades overlap on scissors you will see that this lateral motion (thumb away, fingers toward) forces the blades against each other. OTOH, holding the same scissors in your left hand the same action (thumb away, fingers toward) will cause the blades to push away from each other. Left handed people using right hand scissors learn to hook their thumb through the thumb hole on the scissors and pull the blades together so as to get a clean cut. Trust me, do this for an extended period of time and your thumb will ache.

Weird thing is it becomes reflex--I can't cut with left hand scissors anymore without serious thought processes to overcome the learned (and painful) compensation technique.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Hi MBWCC,

Thanks for the explanation. I was able to get the problem you described with an 8" pair of scissors cutting paper. BUT, I don't have any problem with fly tying scissors. I don't have to open them much to cut with the tips. I found that with the 8" scissors I closed the finger and thumb toward each other. With the fly tying scissors I just move my thumb toward the finger. I did several test and found that my finger didn't move at all. It was the same with both hands. I can cut paper or thread with fly tying scissors, with both hands, with no problem using the tips.

I don't mean to doubt you guys it just caught my attention so I experimented. I guess us right handers took scissors for granted.

Frank