The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Simple way to tie hopper legs?

Is there a trick to tying hopper legs out of pheasant tail? That is what I used for the hopper legs and it was a little difficult. Is there a trick to making these easier?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Simple way to tie hopper legs?

Hi tgoodwater2002,

There are a few tools out there for tying hopper legs. Rainy's makes one.

The best way is to buy them already tied. Feather-Craft has them on sale.

Frank

Stalcup's Hopper Legs
Item # 203222$2.95

Hopper season is heating up and Stalcup's Hopper Legs are some of the most realistic you will find. 24 to a pack. 5 colors in stock: Black, Olive, Orange, Tan & Yellow. Originally priced at $5.95, these are on closeout at only $3.25. Once they are gone, they're gone.

Wasatch Hopper Leg Tyer
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You can get that same tool in sewing departments of Dept. Stores.
I buy the pre-made though...I get lazy, or in a hurry and they are not much money and PERFECT all the time.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Alright, well I went to Walmart and got that tool. Now I just have to figure out how to tie a knot with it. I tried it and its not working for me. There is a trick to this and I just have to figure it out. A video would be great! If anyone knows of one. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
Is there a trick to tying hopper legs out of pheasant tail? That is what I used for the hopper legs and it was a little difficult. Is there a trick to making these easier?
tgoodwater,

Try getting some Feather Tough from Cascade Crest Tools; find them online. It comes in 1oz. bottles and will make those pheasant fibers easy to shape. I used to use it for hoppers & Cray Fish legs when I needed those patterns. It also works great for prepping quills prior to making wing sets and for coating jungle cock nails before tying them in.

They don't show it listed in their online catalog, but I just ordered some and if you e-mail them they will take your order. A bottle will last a long time if you use it sparingly.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
Alright, well I went to Walmart and got that tool. Now I just have to figure out how to tie a knot with it. I tried it and its not working for me. There is a trick to this and I just have to figure it out. A video would be great! If anyone knows of one. Thanks.

Check the middle of this page out:

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Hey, thanks Joni! I figured it out!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Hey! Check out the new issue of the Fly Tyer Magazine on page 48. It shows you how to tie hopper legs out of pheasant tail. Thats really cool!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

You could also buy Rainy's natural pheasant knotted hopper legs. They work good and you dont have to tie them.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Ya, I know. I want to do most of what I can myself. More satisfaction that way if ya know what I mean.