The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Standard or Rotary?

Wondering what the masses tie with, a Standard vice or a Rotary?

I use a Regal Rotary, the Rotary part is useless for me as far as tying, and does not rotate on the flies axis. I purty much only use the Rotary feature to look at the fly from different angles.

What do you use? and what are some of the pro's and Con's of it?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Standard or Rotary?

I use a Renzetti Travler and it's a rotary. I love it! I have no bad things to say about it. It's all good!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I switched to a rotary Peak vise a couple years ago, and love it. I mostly wanted to see the other side of flies while tying, but quickly found
that winding everything onto a hook was much faster and more accurate
using the rotary feature.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Interesting....I have been thinking about trying to acquire a Nor-vise. I watched all the videos on you tube and it seems really neat. Anyone ever used one of these?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:00 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dorian
I have a Nor-Vise, but I only use it for streamers & larger flies. I can't get my big fingers into tying anything smaller than a 12 with it. Make sure you get the retractable bobbin with the vise. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I do most of my tying on a griffen rotary & it depends on the fly if I'll use the rotary feature or not. I have the 2 vices alongside each other on the table & most of the time the Nor- Vise is covered up with materials.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fysh,

I don't see how Regal can call their old rotary Vise a Rotary with a straight face. However, they do have a new vise coming out that is a true rotary. It uses the same basic vise jaws with the spring arm but they have counter balanced the arm. The base of the jaws has an extension that runs through a head with bearings and a handle to rotate it. You might be able to use your jaws with the new head setup. The back end of the setup is made to spin the jaws so it may have ball bearings. I wonder if the connection between the rear of the jaws and the head should be larger?

First thing I noticed is the handle you rotate with may be too far forward. I would like it a little closer to the end. With my Nor Vise I don't look up to find the handle. I just reach up and spin with out taking my eyes away from the tye. It also looks like the machining on the brass cylinder that the handle goes through is not smooth. That won't effect how it works and may just be the picture.

It looks like if you can spin it but you won't be able to use real large hooks. There is no way to adjust the hook on the center line. That is one problem with a NOR Vise and bigger hooks. That is why NOR Vise came out with the saltwater jaws.

Frank

New Regal Vise with a Orvis Wooden Base
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Dr. Blue Dun is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Standard or Rotary?

Frank that is not a very comfortable looking vise IMHO. As a "rotary" it looks to me that it's a very clumsy rotary to use efficiently. I agree about the handle's position as well, but I have never liked the Regal because I always feel the jaws should should be at 90 degrees from the position indicated in the picture. I personally find the Regal generally too clumsy for me to use efficiently, I also feel that anyone trying to go to hooks smaller than #18 will have a hell of a time working with this rotary Regal. That's why they made a special "midge" vise. It also appears to be almost as clumsy as the Nor-Vise would be to me. I admit to having developed a weakness for the new DK Super Barracuda, but not enough to make me want to give up my ~25 year old DK Premier. Which moves to a good rotary position with plenty of room to get your fingers in a good position when using small hooks.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dr. Blue Dun,

I was just reporting on the Regal Rotary. I have never liked the Regal but others like it a lot. This new vise tells me that Regal thinks they are missing out with not having a true rotary.

Frank
Old 11-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I currently tie with a Regal rotary head vise. I love the jaws but I agree with Frank, I don't understand how Regal can call this a rotary vise; given what the term rotary has come to mean over the past few years with regard to tying vises. I do have a Renzetti Traveller vise on my Christmas list - I hope someone I know is watching!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I've used a Regal original since its introduction---i've tied everything from a from 4/0 tarpon flies to 26 tricos with no adjustments and never any hook slippage or breakage. I thought I was missing the boat by not having a rotary so I bought a DK Barracuda---I hated it and was happy to get my money back when a friend bought it. Its all what you get used to!