The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 PM

truchas is on a distinguished road
Default Hackle feathers for small flies

What type of hackle feathers would you buy to tie 22 size and up flies?

Truchas.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hackle feathers for small flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by truchas View Post

Truchas.

You can find the 100's packages in 22. you just have to look. Or spend the extra and get a nice cape:

Whiting's Saddle Hackle 100 Pack at BEARSDEN.COM
Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by truchas View Post

Truchas.
Hi,

If you're serious about your small flies get yourself grade #1 capes from any of the leading suppliers. A good neck will last for a long time and the larger feathers make great wings for your streamers also.

Ard
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I am currently working on tying 25 size 32 royal wulff for a swap and I had to find a cape (as stated before by the others) if you need a supplier I can get you the contact info.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Size 32 Royal Wulff.JPG (12.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I found what I thought was a really good deal on a brown neck a couple
years ago. There were certainly plenty of smaller hackles, but the stems
were too thick on anything smaller than a #14. Another shop owner showed
me a $60 Whiting neck, and the stems' diameter were much smaller. I do use
the $20 brown neck, but I found out why there's a $40 difference.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:30 AM

Guy will become famous soon enough

For feathers that small you pretty much have to go with the top grade hackle and just becuz a cape grades #1 doesn't mean it will have a lot of #22 feathers (#18 yes,,,,,#22 well you take your chances!!!) For that reason I would be very leary to buy a cape sight unseen if I expected get a lot of #22s from it.

The Whiting 100 packs previously mentioned might ultimately be a better purchase you intend to tie many #22 flies.

Tight lines!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

As Joni mentioned, the Whiting Farms 100 Pack's are a good way to go. They are available in size 22 and in some colors you can get them in size 24 and 26. Here is what Whiting has to say about them.

"The packs come in a wide variety of sizes from #8 to #22 with #24’s and #26’s available in limited colors. The most popular colors are: Grizzly, Brown, Medium Dun, Black, White, Ginger, Light Dun, Medium Ginger, Coachman, and Light Ginger."

The dry fly saddles from Whiting are unbelievable. They are the longest dry fly saddles that you can get.

Whoops, sorry Joni, I didn't notice your link.

Frank

Whiting Farms 100 Pack
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am lucky in that I buy my feathers from a gentleman that has enough pull to go to Whiting and HAND PICK his supply.
His capes are top notch. The great thing is, he will section out a cape and sell you what you can afford.
I do get feathers for #30 and #32's.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Allen McGee has some excellent suggestions for tying soft hackles ( distribution wrap). Otherwise, for para and regular hackling, go with the Whiting 100 packs as previously recommended by the knowledgeable moderator...

PATIENCE!!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/