The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Wanted: used Nor Vise

I attended a fly tying clinic today by Dr. Harley Reno and have been convinced I want a Nor Vise. A new one is cost prohibitive for me right now, but I think I could afford a used one if someone could find one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wanted: used Nor Vise

Been looking for one myself.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dorian,
Are you convivced that you need a 'Nor vise'? or that you need a Rotary vise?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 11-30-2008, 03:37 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Fysh, good question. I am sold on the idea of a spinning vise, not necessarily the Nor Vise. Having said that.....rotary is not the same as spinning in my opinion. I don't know of other vises that spin the way a Nor Vise does. Then again, there is a lot I don't know, maybe some rotary vise have similar spinning capability and I just don't know about it.

Know anyone that wants to get rid of one (Nor Vise)?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of anyone Dorian, but I will let you know if I do.
What about putting the word out at Jimmys' or possibly placing an ad in a few papers or websites that are geared for buying and selling? Maybe with Christmas coming someone will be willing to sell their older one to upgrade to a newer one.

With times getting tougher and cash getting tighter, people may be lookin to sell.

It's been a while since I've seen the Norvise in action, so when you mention "spinning"; are you looking for more speed? I've used a rotary years ago and I was able to keep up with the vise when wrapping materials, I'm not sure I could keep up with the speed of the Norvise. If I remember right, you can adjust the speed much as you would a sewing machine, right?
Either way I would mess something up. lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Well, I am no expert, but the Nor Vise spins really fast. You can control how fast or slow, but have the capability to spin super fast. You should check out some of the videos that are up on Youtube to see what it can do. It is really neat.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

If it spins too fast, I would probably end up wrapping my arm around the hook shank. lol

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have a Nor Vise and it will spin very fast as Dorian said. Most other vises have too much mass to spin. The first thing you need is ball bearings in order to spin. The Renzetti MASTER'S Vise is the only bent arm vise that will spin. That is as far as I know. There are one or two other vises that will spin but I don't know their name. Just to be clear, rotary vise will rotate but only at the speed that the tier rotates it.

The new Nor Vise has a screw adjustment to control the speed of the spin. My vise doesn't have that feature. I don't know that it is needed. I have never had a problem controlling the rotation speed. The new Nor Vise also have a new clamping design that may be better than the old style. There are saltwater and midge jaws available. The old style of vise can be updated to the new features.

So if you can't find a Nor Vise you can sell your boat and buy a Renzetti MASTER'S Vise.

Frank

Renzetti MASTER'S Vise
Click the image to open in full size.

New Nor Vise
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
I attended a fly tying clinic today by Dr. Harley Reno and have been convinced I want a Nor Vise. A new one is cost prohibitive for me right now, but I think I could afford a used one if someone could find one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have both a Nor & a Renzetti Master Vise. Vises are one of my vices. I have trouble tying smaller stuff on the Nor even though I've watched both the inventor at shows & the video. Mine is the older model & I had to modify it to put in the 90 degree indexes. The Company owner & Manufacturer makes it look so easy & I guess it can be if you stick with it but it's a different type of tying. My advice would to find someone with one & try it out before you go for it. It is the ultimate Rotary vise but if you tie small stuff I would say go with a standard type rotary. if you tie a lot of streamers & saltwater flies you might like it. If you do get into rotary tying be sure to get Nor's retractable bobbin. It makes rotary tying a lot easier. I got the Renzetti Master's vise for Christmas this year & I like it so far & it holds a wide range hooks & is a true rotary. I've tied down to a 28 on it so far. Like I said that is my main problem with the Nor , only good for larger stuff.......... You don't need the Master Vice for rotary tying, there are many other good ones out there & unless your a gadgetteer like me you don't need one. I would never have bought a Master vice for myself but my wife & daughter went shopping for Christmas gifts for me & the salesman @ Effingers sold them it. For my level of tying it's like putting Scotch in a Hot Water Bottle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both vises.jpg (44.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Flytying area 4.jpg (54.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Scotch in a hot water bottle.