The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM

BukWild is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help; Advise in Fly Tying kit?

I am looking into starting to tie flies, and am looking for a decent beginner kit.
Is this one decent? Sports Authority - Outdoors: Fishing: Fly Fishing Equipment: Fly Tying Kits: Rumpf Premium Fly Tying Kit
I am looking to use my PayPal to pay for it since I have some extra funds in there. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need Help; Advise in Fly Tying kit?

Wild,

Is there a fly tying club in your area. I know that you have a TU chapter. Get some advise and put together a list for an itemized purchase. All the kits I've ever seen have lots of stuff you may quickly outgrow with your tying skills (especially the vise). Transfer the funds to your bank and shop local fly shops you'll get a better set of items you really need.

Look for a mentor at TU or a local club to guide you in what to purchase, if you're not sure you'll really put an effort into it or have the time then go with a value priced kit, you'll have less at risk.

Hope that makes sense,

Ard
Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Makes sense for sure, but what is TU?
And I have no idea about fly tying clubs in my area,
how do I find out? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Wild,

TU is Trout Unlimited (check phone book) if not in your local book check at fly fishing stores they will put you in touch.

Nothing could be better than being taught the ropes by people who know what they are doing. I spent years thrashing around trying to tie flies and to fish them without help. Why not fast track if you can?

I hope you find some helpful people in your area and become an accomplished tier and fisher.

Best of luck my friend,

Ard
Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Hardy, I tried to learn with a kit, I almost gave up. Learning a whip finish from a book is enough to make you start talking to park benches... Sitting next to someone and watching it come together is a much more productive way to learn.
The only pieces I actually still have from the two kits i bought are the bobbins, everything else is at the landfill...

Good Luck and don't forget pretty flies catch fishermen, ugly flies catch fish.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget any local Fly shops, with Winter being here many will be offering Tying Classes. Always a great place to learn plus you get to use their materials and equipment.

I totally agree with the others here, and would shy away from buying a boxed kit also. You will be $$ ahead by taking a class, buying better equipment(that will last through the initial learning curve), and getting better materials for the flies you will need to tie for your waters.

Good luck, and keep us in the know on what you decide to do.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Bukwild-

You've gotten great advice about taking a class. A lot of fly shops and local fishing groups should be offering them thru the winter months. You'll learn a ton, and get a chance to ask a bazillion questions, and get to see and use different materials and tools. And you'll learn a bunch of tips and tricks that will save you years in the learning curve and a lot of frustration. Classes are also designed to build on easy patterns to teach a variety of techniques, so in the course of a typical 6 week course you may have learned 12 patterns, but each pattern is typically a "style" of fly, that you can modify with size and color to tie a whole bunch of stuff once you've mastered the technique of tying that style.

You might even be able to arrange to use a borrowed vise and tools for the first few classes, while you shop around for a vise familiarize yourself with different features (base vs clamp, fixed head vs 360 rotary vs "true rotary") and the different brands and prices to find one that works for you.

Here's a search link for Trout Unlimited chapters. Hopefully there's one near you:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Like others have said the kits sound like a good idea because you get a bunch of different materials and a basic tool set for a great price. But in most cases you'll get a 9 dollar vise with soft metal jaws that won't hold hooks very well and poorly machined parts, a bunch of odds and ends for materials and probably a lot of stuff you don't need and not enough of the stuff you do. If you stick with tying you'll probably want to upgrade the vise and many of the tools very soon. A kit might be the way to go if you have a limited budget of 50 bucks or so, or are unsure if you'd like to tie and want to just try it.

IMHO, if you think tying is something you really want to do, you're much better off going into a local fly shop from folks that actually tie and having them set you up as opposed to buying stuff online from a big box store. They should be able to put a rocking set up together with a budget of 150-250 bucks.

A good vise will run from 75-150 or so. Here's a great review of different models:
Selecting the best fly-tying vise, by Hans Weilenmann and Bruce Salzburg

Good quality tools about 30-50 would include;

Bobbin- metal tube Griffin for 7 or ceramic tube bobbins by Griffin, Dr Slick, Tiemco, Wasatch, Materelli, Rite etc 13-20 (Ceramic tubes won't cut through thread as easily as metal tubes)

Bodkin- just a needle on a stick, any import will do 2 bucks

Scissors Dr Slick or Anvil 13

Whip Finisher Materelli 15 or "Materelli style" import 7

Dr. Slick makes a tool kit that includes the above (with ceramic tube bobbin), plus a bobbin threader, and a hair stacker for about 39 bucks and is a good quality tool set.

Materials for 2 easy to tie patterns that will also build up your inventory of basic materials good for your waters that you'll be using a lot on other patterns for a long time 20-30 plus cost of hooks. Buying materials for 1-2 patterns (maybe in a few different colors too) is a good way to go, instead of trying to buy everything at once. That way you'll make sure to get the stuff you need and won't get overwhelmed trying to figure out what stuff goes with what pattern, and you can gradually build up your inventory as you learn.

Hope this helps.
peregrines
Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Need Help; Advise in Fly Tying kit?

Peregrine,

Great advice and excellent tool, etc. suggestions!

Neil
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the advise. I could not find a TU Chapter around me, but Cabelas offers free fly tying classes, total of 3 classes, no matter what vise you have, and they supply the materials. The guy there recommended Thompson Pro with tools for like $80, but I am doing my research, so thanks for the input everyone!