The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Bugs

I got 'em.
Just put a rabbit skin/mask and a whole grouse pelt in the trash and a couple of shopping bags full of questionable stuff in the freezer. They got into the chicken necks but not a lot of damage there so far. Thank you Jebus

Any tips on making sure they're dead would be helpful
Old 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bugs

Freeze, put in microwave, refreeze. If they are bad, as it seems it may be...I would let it thaw outside for two-four days, then refreeze. Then I would wash them in Dawn dishwashing soap, and let them dry very well. Then I would make very sure you put them in zip lock bags. Put the bags in a moth balled container such as a plastic tube with a locking lid. Keep this away from your other materials for a few weeks. If you see no problems, you are free and clear. I know lots of people use moth balls, and a piece of flea collar cut off, that is placed in a container. Cedar is another repellent, but I would trust moth balls more.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

OH man ! Here's the stupid question of the day. How do you tell when you've got 'em? Can you see them or just the damage that they've done? I don't want 'em.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:21 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Bad news man!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
OH man ! Here's the stupid question of the day. How do you tell when you've got 'em? Can you see them or just the damage that they've done? I don't want 'em.
That and little beetles crawling around !
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Getting rid of bugs on feathers is not hard. Any new hackles or fur should be isolated from your other items until you know they are clean. Bringing a new neck into your warm tying room will accelerate the hatching of eggs. Eggs is usually where you get into trouble. A good washing in a dish detergent will get rid of eggs and bugs. Let the feathers soak for at least thirty minutes. Just make sure you dry them thoroughly before you store them. Any feathers that get bent or out of shape can be restored by steaming them. A good way to isolate new feathers are in wide mouthed Mason jars or Poly bags. Then when you know they are clean you can combine with your other tying materials.

So here is a good procedure to follow.

1. Isolate new feathers in jar or poly bag in a warm room. If no bugs in a week or two you are good to go.

2. Feathers with bugs wash in detergent soaking for at least thirty minutes.

3. Completely dry the feathers and store in jar or poly bag. Steam any feathers that are not laying flat after the washing.

Hides are harder to deal with but boiling in water for a few minutes will get rid of the bugs. you then need to throughly dry the hide before storage.

Frank
Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Were these store bought or stuff you prepped yourself?
Also what do these bugs look like? Or what are they specifically?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
Were these store bought or stuff you prepped yourself?
Also what do these bugs look like? Or what are they specifically?
Although everything has been in my material collection for years, it was the "harvested" stuff rather that the store bought that suffered the most damage, but I'm not sure that it made a difference.
Like I said above, there were little black beetles crawling around, but I'm sure it's the larva that does the damage
Our early American home (money pit ) is 220 years old and has in the past had problems with "powder post beetles". These bugs look very much the same, but I don't really know
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeek-- good luck Paul--- i live in constant fear of something like that---

I'm sure you've gotten great advice from all so far--- One thing i'll add is that i talked to Charlie Collins (from Collins Hackle) and he recommends "Enoz Moth Crystals" it's supposed to have a more powerful active ingredient than regular moth balls.

After you do the washing in Dawn or whatever dish soap, blow drying and then nuking in a micro wave, you might also want to add some of the moth crystals to whatever you've got.

Good luck---
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I second moth crystals (you can get the ones that kill stuff)

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Eeeek-- good luck Paul--- i live in constant fear of something like that---

I'm sure you've gotten great advice from all so far--- One thing i'll add is that i talked to Charlie Collins (from Collins Hackle) and he recommends "Enoz Moth Crystals" it's supposed to have a more powerful active ingredient than regular moth balls.

After you do the washing in Dawn or whatever dish soap, blow drying and then nuking in a micro wave, you might also want to add some of the moth crystals to whatever you've got.

Good luck---

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD