The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foam Hoppers

HR...Muddlers are awesome for that. They are a MULTI TASKING fly for sure.
As far as the chumming, something I have never done. Around here it is more the San Juan shuffle that gets the FF is a tizzy, so I am sure throwing a handful of Hoppers would be grounds for a hanging.
I wonder though, are they illegal on no bait waters? you aren't fishing with them, I mean there is no hook.

I do fish Hair Hoppers, and stoneflies, plus foam beetles, ants and stones. Very buoyant and great for dropping a nymph off of.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni

Have you had a chance yet to try the new Beavertail Foam Body Cutter?
If so what are your thoughts?

I also have another question you might be able to answer. Have you ever used Widows Web from Montana Fly Company? If so do you happen to know of a shop that stocks it.
Here is what I'm talking about (in case you haven't heard of it).

Easy Ice Caddis

Hook: TMC 100, size 10-16
Thread: 8/0 Brown
Body: Golden Brown Ice Dub
Wing: Golden Brown Montana Fly Company Widow's Web
Hackle: Brown

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice_caddis_side.jpg (71.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have cut a few bodies and even attached the rubber formed legs, but haven't finished it yet. I will and post a picture.

I have the "WEB WING" material by Wapsi (I think). I do use it allot. I like it fine, but think I prefer the feather and my wing burners. It was in a close out for a buck a sheet so I went for it.
The cutters are soooo kewl.

I like your picture...do you like using CDC. I have a bunch and even the magic tool, but I just don't use CDC much. I think cause when it gets slimed, it sinks and you can't put floatant on it. I do use the Frog Fanny though. CDC is awesome for #26 and #28 emergers.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Joni,

I haven't done it for over 25 years (Chumming) so I figure the statute of limitations has run out on me. If in fact you were not fishing but just tossing a bug on the surface of the water for a fish to eat there is no foul. If you follow the natural (that you introduced) with your cast it's a no play.

I loved it, I have also caught three very large Brown Trout after hooking a small Creek Chubs. The first one was on Kettle creek in Pa. back in the early 80's, while the little guy was doing the St. Vitus dance with my fly in his mouth I saw him engulfed by a huge fish. Ascertaining the situation I stripped line from my reel and watched as the big guy swam back under the stump / brush pile combo from whence he had came. After waiting a sufficient time I gently reeled the fish (who barely fought at all) in and keeping an extreme low profile (read that as lying down) I netted him with so little fuss it still seems hard to believe. The fact that the big fish (26") was not hooked and not feeling any pain had to be a factor because he gave very little resistance. If anything I would say he seemed confused when I scooped him up in my net.

When I say low profile I mean LOW! They go nuts when they see you, the lower you can get the less traumatic being caught is for a fish. My opinion that is. I pulled the fly from the Chub who's head was still visible in the big Trouts gullet and by the time my buddy Steve ran down stream to see it all he saw was a huge fish, me, and a size #16 Ginger Quill. He thought I was the greatest dry fly fishermen in the world back then and he still does. He saw all three of the big fish that I caught by accident as described and I confessed to him about the three Chub's that precipitated the three big Browns in 1994 while on a trip for Salmon in Maine. He still talks about the fish, (26", 23", and a 21" all in one year all on a pre-caught Creek Chub.

Ard
Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Joni,

I haven't done it for over 25 years (Chumming) so I figure the statute of limitations has run out on me. If in fact you were not fishing but just tossing a bug on the surface of the water for a fish to eat there is no foul. If you follow the natural (that you introduced) with your cast it's a no play.

I loved it, I have also caught three very large Brown Trout after hooking a small Creek Chubs. The first one was on Kettle creek in Pa. back in the early 80's, while the little guy was doing the St. Vitus dance with my fly in his mouth I saw him engulfed by a huge fish. Ascertaining the situation I stripped line from my reel and watched as the big guy swam back under the stump / brush pile combo from whence he had came. After waiting a sufficient time I gently reeled the fish (who barely fought at all) in and keeping an extreme low profile (read that as lying down) I netted him with so little fuss it still seems hard to believe. The fact that the big fish (26") was not hooked and not feeling any pain had to be a factor because he gave very little resistance. If anything I would say he seemed confused when I scooped him up in my net.

When I say low profile I mean LOW! They go nuts when they see you, the lower you can get the less traumatic being caught is for a fish. My opinion that is. I pulled the fly from the Chub who's head was still visible in the big Trouts gullet and by the time my buddy Steve ran down stream to see it all he saw was a huge fish, me, and a size #16 Ginger Quill. He thought I was the greatest dry fly fishermen in the world back then and he still does. He saw all three of the big fish that I caught by accident as described and I confessed to him about the three Chub's that precipitated the three big Browns in 1994 while on a trip for Salmon in Maine. He still talks about the fish, (26", 23", and a 21" all in one year all on a pre-caught Creek Chub.

Ard
Now you're talking elbow & knee pad fishing. Just watch out for stinging nettles.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Been doing the low profile thing since the 60's that's when I figured it out that a cat fish didn't fight much till he saw you cranking the reel. Trout go nuts when they see me, my wife says its the mustache, I thought I was scaring them.

Didn't mean to double post that thing, don't know how that happened?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni

Can't wait to see the foam hoppers!

I don't use CDC much either.

Size 26/28? At my age they are way beyond what I can see, let alone try to tie. Size 20 is really stretching it for me.

I still remember the first time I fished with hoppers. It was in the early 80's. I was in the Air Force and was visiting (flying) with the Montana Air National Guard in Great Falls. I would go out every night after work and hit the public access points, but wasn't doing very good. I mentioned my lack of success to one of the airman and he invited me to fish on his farm the next day. When we hit the river we split up and I thought I was doing great, I had caught 12 or so trout in the 12-16" range, but at lunch he told me of a big bend in the river where he was catching 20" plus browns. So after lunch I went down that direction and hooked into three monsters. The first one was so cocky he didn't even it the fly on the way up, he jumped a couple of feet out of the water and inhaled the hooper on the way down. My eyes must have been as big as saucers! To this day I love hopper season.

Larry
Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Most "FLIES" are made from synthetics. What is the difference in WIRE and Foam.
I take it you don't use San Juans or Eggs.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 AM

I do squish or buy debarbed.

Have you ever noticed that people only hear what they want to hear? The same ones will argue and argue over an issue rather than admit that someone else is right and you are wrong. Why is that?

I don't know why some people do that. Never really thought about it ;-)
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Fogerty View Post
I've never used a hopper nor do I know anyone that has. Can you honestly call a hopper, a fly pattern? To me it's foamed made lure, not a fly.
If you have never fished hoppers you don't know what you are missing. Plus, not all hoppers are made of foam. I prefer foam as it floats higher and much longer than hair.