The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foam Hoppers

I just bought some killer Close Cell foam at ROBERTS (a hobby shop of type). It is about a 1/2" thick. I was thinking same thickness as the foam hoppers.
I them bought one of these:
Beavertail Foam Body Cutter - All Seasons Sports, Inc.
Now my question. I have tied allot of hoppers, but I wanted some new input. I have the molded Hopper legs in a bunch of colors. I also have the hook/latch leg tool.
My question......where would you attach the legs?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Foam Hoppers

I am not a professional by any means, but if I were you I would tie the legs on the hook before tying in the foam body on top. I have never used those molded legs. I have always used the rubber legs. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

Here are four examples that might give you some ideas. They all tie in the legs at the same location. I don't think I would tie in the legs on the hook unless you turn them out a bit.

Frank

Kaufmann BLT
Click the image to open in full size.

Green Hopper

Lawson's Henry's Fork Hopper

Rainy's Grand Hopper
Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I like the pre molded because they float so good. I poke a hole through the foam and pull the legs through. But there is the head portion, then an thorax (same size as head) then long thorax. I will try making one and see what you all think.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Fogerty View Post
I've never used a hopper nor do I know anyone that has. Can you honestly call a hopper, a fly pattern? To me it's foamed made lure, not a fly.

Heay, it has wings...it flies......so, it is a fly!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

First off let me say that I think I resized this picture. I say think because I really don't know what I am doing.

Frank, can you let me know if the resizing thing worked

Here is a picture of a Foam Hopper I tie that is really simple.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 2PawsRiver,

That size is fine in a post that is not the first post in the thread. In the first post (the post that starts the thread) the picture has to be small enough so it will not push the right side of the Portal Page off of the screen. I think this picture would be OK in a first post.

You might want to download the Picasa 3 photo program from Google. It is free and gives you basic edit tools. It is very easy to resize photos base on standard photo sizes.

Frank
Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Fogerty View Post
Heay, so does a chicken but I don't see them being tied on the bench and called a fly!

Nice try!

KEY WORD "BUG" or "INSECT"
Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Well, the English call them all "Lures" so I guess that works ;-)
Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Whoa............here's another one brewing, I don't know if I should get into this one but.......................

I used to fish Letort Spring Creek prior to the chemical spill of 1980 and we used Muddler patterns gooped with mucilin so that we could shape them a bit. On the Spring Creeks and many freestone streams if you could locate a fish and slap a Greased Muddler down with in a couple of feet of the fish they would usually take the fly.

I played around making Letort Hoppers and Crickets but almost always turned to a greased up Muddler for a hopper fly. I never have used a foam bodied fly but then that has been a personal choice. If I found a truly big fish and could not move it with the aforementioned muddler presentation I would simply slip away into the meadow and catch some real hoppers. After acquiring the real McCoy I would toss them (chum them) into the current so that they would drift to the big boy. After the fish had eaten a few of the real bugs he would usually hammer my Muddler without hesitation.

Now to some that may seem unfair and it is against the regulations (read as illegal) in most places. I never had as much trouble with chumming hoppers as I had with the idea of foam or rubber or plastic flies. You know I never admitted to anyone fishing with me how I always caught those really big brown trout in the dead of summer. They just thought I was exceptionally lucky I guess. Now the truth is known. Perhaps I should have called myself "Chummy" instead of Hardyreels. I always excused the practice as it being the child in me wanting to fool the fish anyway I had to.

Hope this confession doesn't give anyone any bad ideas, I haven't done it for at least 20 years and if you do it make sure no one is watching. In my own defense I must say that I have a copy of a Jim Teeny video called Catching More Steelhead in which Teeny shows the viewers how to "Move" a Steelhead by throwing rocks at them. He does this to move them to a site where they can be lifted more efficiently. I don't throw rocks at Salmon or Steelhead but I did Chum some trout.

Your Chum,

Hardy