The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

JC,

I still have it! I will post a photo to this thread later this evening. I hope you will see it, I didn't read the instructions that came with my kit back in .............

Great Thread!

Ard
Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

mine is posted somewhere on here. it was a hares ear nymph. or as I call it now a wannbe hares ear nymph. lol.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

griffiths gnat, my grandpa tought me how to tie and later with that fly i caught a small rainbow, first on a hand fly i tied, but unfortunately lost it in some bush in my backcast.I was young and just starting to fly-fish.

Thankfuly i learned how to cast and stopped losing flys except on fish that break my line.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 AM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

I don't remeber what it was called but it was simple and it caught fish, my wife and daugther both caught their first fish on it and we lost a lot of them to the fly eating trees along the Poudre trying to learn our selfs, have since taken lessons for casting and tying, still use this fly though. Here's a picture.
Attachment 1313
Wyatt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1559b.JPG (6.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

I started tying flies long before I started flyfishing. I saw in a kids fishing book about tying flies and I knew a man who fly fished so I wanted to make him some flies. I held the hook in my hand and wrapped on the stuff with swing thread. I did this for a few years until I actually started flyfishing myself and then I bought a real vice, tool, material and such. That was the best purchase ever!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I remember it well. I tied a white bead head woolly bugger with a weed guard, on a 1/0 hook. I didn't have anything flashy in my kit, so I used Christmas tree tinsel in the tail. And it was HUGE. It caught lots of wind and didn't exactly turn over well, so I had to fish it on a 0X leader. I fished it around weed beds and lily pads for largemouth. That was also the first (and last) time I ever lost my entire leader to a fish.

Of course it was also the last time I used a leader loop. The loop held fine. My knot did not.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Great story. Thanks for sharing

John
Old 12-23-2008, 07:49 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Brown #12 Wolly Bugger in a class i took. Then we tied a #12 Prince nymph. I don't have mne any more, but my Girlfriend who took the class with me still has hers.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:16 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

It was an olive wooly bugger on a #10 hook, tied at a fly tying class offered by my local fly shop in Blakeslee, PA. The instructor was Stanley Cooper; an ex-A&F professional tyer. It was a complete rat! He said it would catch fish, but I never fished it, because if I was a fish, I never would have given it a second look!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Alot of my flies no looks that way, LOL. Thanks for the story

John