The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Your First Fly You Tied

Here is an interesting question. What was the first fly that you ever tied? Do you still have it? Do you tie that same pattern now and fish with it?

My first fly was a Mickey Finn Streamer with peacock herl tied over the top (i'll post a picture later). I still display in a case in our front room. People comment and ask about it once and awhile. It was the first fly that a beginner tying kit told me to tie.

John
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Your First Fly You Tied

Post a picture if you have one.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Ha! I remember it well. It was a TU beginners fly tying class. First fly was a weighted muskrat nymph. About a size 12; wrapped with some non-lead wire; muskrat fur dubbed onto black thread and a really poor thread head. It was supposed to represent a sowbug and now that I think back, I'm sure it did and I'm sure it would have worked, although I can guarantee I would have thought it too simplified, pretty early on and quit tying it. (I just might try one today!). I don't have a picture of it but if you look under your desk and see a size 12 dust-bunny, you'd get the general idea!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM

I've been trying to find a good pattern to use some muskrat I received in a swap. I think I will try a couple and see how they work.

Thanks for the story.

John
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My first go at tying was around 30 years ago. Being short on funds, I tied
mostly Mickey Finns: $7 vise, no other tools to mention, and a handful of
hooks. I took an old fly box out about 5 years ago to show my son, and they
weren't as bad as I remembered. When we pulled the fly from the spring clips,
9 out of 10 hooks broke...LOL!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I was 7, I 'tied' a fly from my mother's olive colored wool knitting yarn.
It really wasn't anything more than a tail and a wrapped body, but I caught a fish on it
Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

It was 2 years ago and it was a Chart/White Clouser. I'm happy to say I fished it til it fell apart...
Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

My first year in Alaska my wife and I took a fly tying class from the Anchorage Parks and Recreation. So there were practice (make believe) flies that were tied to learn techniques. My first real fly for fishing was a size 14 gray Woolly Worm with a red butt and a herl back. The hackle was Palmered Grizzly. I tied it for Grayling. I fished with the first one I tied on a sink tip line. On the first cast I caught a fish from a nice hole. So if one is good two is better, right. On my second cast I hung up and lost the fly. So much for saving your first fly. That gray Woolly Worm became one of my most successful flies for Grayling.

Frank
Old 12-19-2008, 03:31 PM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Egg pattern on a size 8 hook. LOL it was huge! Now I can tie 14's no problem. I'm pretty sure that was my first attempt. As far as feathers and hackle go, I tied some real ugly wooly buggers. Some fell apart in the river but I think I saved my first one. I'll have to go dig it up. It's olive and black and ugly all over.

Great thread and Happy Holidays!

Darin
Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM

I wanted to bring some cheer to everyone this holiday season by bring up some good memories.

John