The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I tie Faster?

I used to tie for speed, and then realized that many of those speedy flies stunk. I now tie at a pace that allows me to tie the best flie possible, and if it takes an hour, it takes an hour. Like the others have said, practice and organization of materials, along with tying many of the same type of fly adds speed. Ard said that he ties a dozen of one type of fly, but I've been tying PTN's since last Friday night. Tails, herl, and wire are all laid out, and it's surprising how quickly they fly off the vise after the 50th tie! I'd suggest watching Davie McPhail tie on Youtube. He ties his flies with tremendous economy, and doesn't waste time with extra wraps or fumbling. He does say, "Take your time" quite often, but that's the key to eventual speed. Musicians practice playing slow before they play fast....
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Don't feel bad about being slow in your tying. I am a very slow tyer compared to many people I have seen. If I had to get in a hurry, it would take the fun out of it for me, plus make me stressed. Enjoy "your pace", and you will get faster the more time you spend tying.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great advice here for you from the guys .... Someone mentioned practice and that is one of the best things you can do; tye more often. I have a couple of simple patterns that I can truly tye in under a minute when I have everything layed out for them; but to be honest I don't really enjoy tying them that much... When I tye, a lot of times I try to tye something I'm seeing in my mind's eye; I get a lot more enjoyment out of those creations.

If you get enjoyment out of tying faster; make a game out of it and time yourself for a particular pattern. Set a time goal and try and beat it.

Most importantly enjoy yourself while you're at your bench...

Dan
Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Also, I have looked for some youtube videos on faster tying and I couldnt find any. Anyone got a link to a tutorial, or youtube?
Here are a couple of videos by C.Craven tying perfect flies in approx. 2 minutes. I just hope to tie that well time aside.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Randall Kaufmann's Tying Nymphs has a whole chapter on production tying. He lists the key techniques to speed up production.

MP