The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Question fly-tying material prices

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering, is it just here or is fly tying materials like hackle rising in price or are becoming just about impossible to find. In Montana where i live its just getting harder to find good quality grizzly hackle and i don't want to order of the internet because i don't know the quality. The stuff i find are just exspensive enough to keep me from buying them being a kid.

Luckily christmas is here for me and with christmas comes money.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly-tying material prices

I have noticed the same thing since I have been tying (close to 10 years).

The one thing about the quality hackles is that the higher quality hackles will give you more material to tie with. They seem to last longer than the cheaper ones.

John
Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Troutwhisperer,

Good hackle is expensive. If you buy Whiting Farms hackle from a vendor on line you can trust the rating system that Whiting uses. I am assuming you are asking about dry fly hackle because that is where quality hackle is worth the money. I think you should look at the Whiting 100 packs. You can pick the size you want and it keeps the cost down. It will run about $15 for 100 flies or so.

Here is a link to Whiting Farms that talks about their grading system and the number of flies the different grades may provide.

A lot of dealers don't carry the highest grades because a lot of people don't want to pay the cost. But as John mention the higher grades do produce more flies. Grizzle Hackle is one of the most useful. You might want to save a few bucks and get a little better grad than you would normally buy. I have a full neck that I bought over 30 years ago and I am still using it.

Frank

Whiting Farms 100 Packs
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one cheap SOB and if I can tie a dry fly without expensive hackle, I'm all for it.
One of my favorites is the 'usual'
I tie them a bunch of sizes, sparse and heavy, dark, medium and light.
They're made from one material, snowshoe rabbit feet, that goes for somewhere in the range of 3 for $5
Definitely not the only dry you'll ever need, but a good one to prospect with.
And cheap..... like me
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Does the rabbit float as well as the hackle? I was thinking of tying with rabbit foot but haven't found a pattern yet.

John
Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Snowshoe rabbit foot is highly water repellent
I would say that it probably floats better than hackle.

Usual Dry Fly Tutorial
Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

Same here in the North East, hooks are outrageously expensive....I've become more attached to SS rabbit and CDC since the hike in hackle....The usual is a killer all around dry fly that takes many fish species. I don't leave home without it...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the link. I will have to try it

John
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Troutwhisperer

The Usual is a great pattern, and floats like a cork even in fast water. The Snow Shoe Hare Foot (not plain ole rabbit foot) makes great emerger wings too.

Some other alternatives to hackle for dry flies are flies tied with CDC like CDC and Elk Hair Caddis,
CDC&Elk

Spent wing mayfly spinner patterns tied with CDC or poly that are great for slow water stretches.
Yarn-wing Spinner

Sparkle Duns and Comparaduns (for mayfly imitations) and X Caddis (for caddis) are good in slow to medium fast water. These patterns rely on fine hollow deer hair (sold as comparadun hair) for flotation. A 2 x 2 inch patch of comparadun hair goes for 2.50-3 bucks and will tie about 100 flies. You can get it bleached, or in natural colors in different shades of grayish brown (light, medium, and dark) to match naturals. For real small ones you can use CDC for the wing instead of deer hair.
Sparkle Dun
Craig Mathews' Sparkle Dun
Comparadun
"Comparadun Quill Gordon - #239- FAOL"
X Caddis- this one uses elk, but you can use deer hair too
Fly Tying Patterns for begginers - Copperfly.net - The X-caddis Flishing Fly

Another pattern, invented by Fran Betters, the same guy that invented the Usual, also uses deer hair for both the wing and the tail, and is a great fast water fly where exact imitation isn’t so critical. This is the fly that the Comparadun, Sparkle Dun and X Caddis are based on, but floats better and is easier to see. You can use it in places where you’d throw a Wulff or Humpy.
On The Fly

All these flies actually work, and it's a great way to knock out a lot of different flies for different situations like specific hatches and water types without breaking the bank.

peregrines
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Good Subject. I'm Looking for a jungle cock cape. Does anyone have a good reliable source ???