The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default bobbin problem

hey guys i just got a new bobbin for christmas and when i put the thread in it wont spin. the bobbin has to much pressure on the thread so it wont spin. what should i do.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: bobbin problem

You should be able to spread it apart a little more .........don't overdo it.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:27 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

when i spread it apart it just goes back. its the bobbin from the dr. slick kit on cabelas.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi eaglesfn68,

You have to use enough pressure to spread the ends open more than it is. Hold one side in each hand and spread it apart. You have go go farther than you have tried so far. Try to bend each side equally at the same time. I know it seems like you are going to break it but that is how you adjust it. You may have to do it a few times to get the tension where you want it.

Frank
Old 12-25-2008, 03:17 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Like Frank said, you have to spread the arms out & let them spring back to a distance apart that will give you the tension you want..
Old 12-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Also, make sure the arms themselves of the bobbin are not pressing against the rim of the thread spool. I had to tweak one once so nothing but the spool holes touch the bobbin.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about

Another trick I use is to spead your bobbin apart just the width of you nose and run the thread holder across the base of you nose. The natural oil on your face works as a lubricant.

Sounds silly but works!
Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn68 View Post
hey guys i just got a new bobbin for christmas and when i put the thread in it wont spin. the bobbin has to much pressure on the thread so it wont spin. what should i do.
If you mean it will not allow thread out at all or is so tight it breaks the thread then splay it. Remember that too little tension is not good either. You don't want it to play out thread while it is hanging from the hook and you are winding body materials etc. Gotta find the sweet spot.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Just play with it, like said....spread the ends apart, but if you go too far, it is easy to fix, just squeeze them together again.
Also, not all bobbins are created equal. You do want to send a little money and get the ceramic or teflon coated as they don't break the thread as easy.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:50 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie24 View Post
Another trick I use is to spead your bobbin apart just the width of you nose and run the thread holder across the base of you nose. The natural oil on your face works as a lubricant.

Sounds silly but works!
I tried that & I had to glue 2 spools togrther to get the bobbin to hold it... I use nosegrease on my rod ferrules all the time. Great stuff. I like to adjust my bobbin so it's just tight enough so it doesn't unspool under it's own weight. If I need to wrap tighter I can control the tension easily.