The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default pre cutting materials

I read an article some were about a Bobbin for floss, it has a flat head on it? I do not see one in the few catalogs I have, who makes one and do I need one?
Also is there a scale or pre determined length for cutting Chenille's or other similar wrapping material prior to wrapping? I.E. to hook size.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pre cutting materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
I read an article some were about a Bobbin for floss, it has a flat head on it? I do not see one in the few catalogs I have, who makes one and do I need one?

Also is there a scale or pre determined length for cutting Chenille's or other similar wrapping material prior to wrapping? I.E. to hook size.
Bobbins for floss
Not really flattened- more like a wider tube with a flared edge- so that the edge of the bobbin is less likely to fray the floss. You can find "material bobbins" by Griffin like the metal tube Griffin "Flared Tube Bobbin" for about $8

But if you use Pearsall's silk (the classic standard for softhackles) you'll want something like the "Matarelli Midge Bobbin" about $18 because Pearsall's silk thread and floss come on small diameter spools.

Just be aware that for floss in a bobbin to work, you need to be using single strand floss (or if you buy 4 stranded floss , you'll have to pull off a length, cut it, separate the strands and respool one strand on an empty spool). Using a bobbin helps to cut down on waste and makes it a bit easier to tie with in most cases- since you can let the bobbin hang if you need to.

length of chenille etc for flies
Usually i tie several flies of the same pattern, so what I do is pull off 12" (as measured against a wooden ruler that I keep handy on my bench) and tie a fly, then measure what i have left. Then i tie another fly in the same size and see what i have left. etc until i have a pretty good idea how much each fly uses. The 12" length is easy to work with, and should give you several flies. If you want to get a little obsessive about it, you could keep a note book handy and record the length of materials needed for each fly. Doing it this way you get a pretty good sense of how much you actually are using.

Hope this makes sense
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mark. I believe that is the description I read. And the single strand is what I would want to start with first. Great idea on measuring the drops to figure out a closer length for other materials. Just trying to conserve as much as possible.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

By using a 12" length and tying several flies with it when you eventually end up with a short piece of left over stuff as waste-- as opposed to trying to cut the exact amount for each fly-- where you would also likely end up with a bit of waste after each cut--- and add up to more total waste of clippings that are too short to do anything with.

Material bobbins help to cut down on waste even more for stuff like wire, vinyl rib etc and anything else on spools.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Matarelli Midge Bobbin, that is what I use for my silk, and small spools. I have been cutting floss off though, and winding it on by hand.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

It seems to me there is a fine line between floss laying flat and splitting to the point there are strands up and down the shank. My mentor told me that once it is wrapping flat give it a half twist each turn around the shank so I like Kelkay's idea of keeping it around the hand.
This looks pretty intriguing. There's a video at the bottom of Barrett reviewing this bobbin.
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...ean-tt-bobbin/

Last edited by Jimmie; 11-13-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

His tools look great, but expensive.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Holy cow. I just now looked it up. 1/2 a Franklin.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:40 PM

Yes, it is quite expensive.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with Mark on simply using a piece of material that is much longer than will be required. When you try to cut a piece to avoid waste and come up short you have learned a lesson that has been shared by many. handling a long strand of material is an acquired talent but it is much easier than finding out that the tinsel, floss, etc is too short.

One other tip that may save some stress; if you've ever had a feather stem break when you were almost finished with a fly.............. for future use of the same materials keep a small glass of water on your tying bench and soak the feathers for at least 10 mins. The wet hackle fibers will be a bit hard to get used to but like the previous topic once you get the hang of it you will appreciate the change.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;