The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default How do I prepare feathers from birds i shoot?

I am doing quite a bit of bird hunting this year, and some of the feathers i would like to keep. However i dont know how to cure the skin of the bird so that the feathers will keep.

Anyone have a link to a guide?

Thanks,
Skibum
Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do I prepare feathers from birds i shoot?

I dont know about links to sites right off hand, but if you go to google then type in taxidermist supply catalog, it will pop up a bunch of sites to order stuff you just rub on the skin and let dry. Or go to your local taxidermist shop and ask him/her if they can get you some.
thats where I get mine, before that I use to just pluck the feathers I wanted from duckes, geese, quail and so forth make sure threy were dry and put plastic bags, what a mess. lol
Bear
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM

mch is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of books on my website that will explain how to use those bird feathers that you have to make the flys. Go to mchproducts.com. Then go into fly fishing. There are a few of them that will explain it to you. I have been told by a good friend of mine that they are great. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here's an article from Texas Fish and Game that I thought was an excellent reference to keeping skins.

Texas Fish & Game - HowTo: Feathers & fur cure cabin fever

I checked and think this link is OK but if not would a mod please remove it.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Skinning the bird is the tough part. Once you have it skinned place the bird on a piece of high density foam board insulation, which you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. I use push pins to secure the skin to the board so that I can keep the skin stretched while it cures. Then purchase some Borax laundy detergent and liberally coat the skin with the detergent. Let is sit for a couple of weeks and then shake off the detergent. Your skin should be cured but I usually put the skins in a zip lock and place them in the freezer for a couple more weeks just to kill any insects that may have been in the feathers. I do keep my harvested birds seperate from my other hackles just to be sure that bugs don't infest my expensive Haufman necks. I have never had a problem with bugs but it is the one kiss of death for a hackle. Good luck with your birds.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Skinning the bird is the tough part. Once you have it skinned place the bird on a piece of high density foam board insulation, which you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. I use push pins to secure the skin to the board so that I can keep the skin stretched while it cures. Then purchase some Borax laundy detergent and liberally coat the skin with the detergent. Let is sit for a couple of weeks and then shake off the detergent. Your skin should be cured but I usually put the skins in a zip lock and place them in the freezer for a couple more weeks just to kill any insects that may have been in the feathers. I do keep my harvested birds seperate from my other hackles just to be sure that bugs don't infest my expensive Haufman necks. I have never had a problem with bugs but it is the one kiss of death for a hackle. Good luck with your birds.

Thanks biggie, this is what i was looking for. I got a couple of ducks today, but not the ones i wanted the feathers from. I really want the stomach feathers from a hen mallard. I try to avoid shooting hens, but just this once i am going to seek one out.

I skinned the stomach of the last mallard i shot for practice, and it wasnt too bad, you just have to make the incision near the one wing, and then pull up slowly while slicing at the fat with a knife.

Thanks to the other people as well, but currently i am in north central wyoming, and taxidermy supplies are hard to come by.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:22 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

MTSKIBUM,
I haven't done any skinning and preparing of ducks, I usually just pluck the flank and the CDC and put them in a bag, I clip the wings whole and that is about it from the ducks I shoot. I am not sure if the borax will do a great job on skinned ducks because of the amount of oil in their fat. I would probabaly try and scrap as much of the fat from the skin as you can on the ducks. Let me know how it works if you do skin the ducks and treat them with the borax.

Biggie
Old 01-04-2009, 03:03 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Sorry it is not on topic, but.....MTskibum! Good to see you around! I had been wondering what you were up to! How was your F Football league?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

skin it rub some borax in lay it skin side down on newspaper then more on top, add some weight to press it down let sit for a few weeks. we do this for the shop all the time. you can stack them one on top of the other. this works for game too. just scrape as much fat off as possible..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Skibum,

Nice to see you post again. Here is a link to the best information I have seen. It covers several different methods. The Indians use to use cornmeal. The trick is to remove the moisture from the skin if you don't pluck the feathers. Make sure you do something to kill any mites.

Frank