The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Tagged a white-tailed deer! Now what?

Got a deer this weekend and plan to save the tail. Is there any other fur I ought to save for fly tying? I was wondering about the face/ears for dubbing.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tagged a white-tailed deer! Now what?

If your into deerhair bass bugs, the belly hair is great for spinning and the white takes color real well. the shorter softer hair the legs (i belive) is good for like deer hair caddies.
Bear
Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should consider having the whole hide tanned if it's in good shape and did not get too torn up when you drug the animal out. Much of the hide can be used for tying, down to the fine hair on the hocks that can be used for very small comparadun wings and emerger patterns.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the deer. As far as next steps, it sounds like you should start chopping vegetables for a venison roast.

Besides the bucktail you can put the hide and tail to tons of uses. Spinning, and wings and tails on dry flies (using deer hair for flotation instead of dry fly hackle on patterns like the Haystack, Comparaduns, Sparkle Duns, X Caddis, Deer Hair Emergers and as a replacement for Elk Hair on Elk Hair Caddis. The gray deer hair with a black body 16-18, with an olive body 14-16, and gray body 14-16 cover a lot of caddis hatches in the East.

Here’s some stuff by Chris Helm, that might help:

Tips for selecting deer hair - Choosing the right hair will make your deer hair flies - Comparaduns, EHC´s, Muddlers, bass bugs - much easier to tie. - Global FlyFisher

Hide chart:
Tips for selecting deer hair - Hide chart - Selecting hair from the right part of the hide - Global FlyFisher

As far as prepping the hide, I've heard guys use everything form borax, salt, using tanning stuff from feathercraft, etc.

But I've also heard guys like Chris Helm just use repeated rinsing in water with ivory soap to wash and degrease, let soak overnight rinse, tack to plywood sheet and let dry for a few days with fan blowing on it and whack it up with a carpet knife. Anyone on the board use this method?

Whatever method you use, be sure to scrape it thoroughly to get all the fat off before you do anything. Holler if you need help on preserving the hide for tying, I'm sure lot's of guys have done it, but I'm not one of them.

Congrats again, and good luck with hide you've got lot's of tying to do.

peregrines