The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Don't laugh...

I got a bunch of fly tying tools and the Orvis Fly Tying book for Christmas. Bought a vice that was recommended by someone on this forum (Thanx, Hardyreels). I've had my nose in that book for a few weeks since.

So, since I didn't have any real materials to tie any of the flies that were recommended as beginners flies (Wooly Bugger, Black-nosed Dace, etc), I pilfered some stuff from my wife's craft supplies, found a long shank fishing hook and went to work on learning a few things.

First off, this is the first thing I've ever tried to tie. I used some standard feathers, a strand of red yarn and some cuttings from some craft fur. I'd never fish it, just wanted to see what I could do. It's not pretty in the least, but I'm brave enough (or dumb enough) to share the unmitigated disaster with you guys.

Be gentle....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2688.JPG (82.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Don't laugh...

Just hang on to that puppy forever. Though that is a great first tie, you will be amazed what you will be coming up with in a very short while!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Not bad for a first time. Keep with it. I think it will definitely catch fish....
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Looks like a streamer to me. You will do well at this.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Man I have seen much worse first flies, thats not bad at all. I would hang on to it and not fish it, but I bet ya a dollar it woudl catch bass and crappie and probaly trout in the right place and time
Keep at it you look like your gonna pick this up pretty fast
Bear
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Like Jackster said, hang on to this one!
You'll also be surprised at how many grand flytying materials are available in the craft stores! Some times, just by using the words "fly fishing/tying" will be enough to make the prices jump tremendously! Don't be afraid to experiment!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

I've caught fish with a lot less. I agree that you'll do very well, excellent first try.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice

Here's a series of fly tying videos you might find helpful: YouTube - Learn Fly Tying Lesson 1 for Beginners with David Cammiss When you're first starting,
it's much more helpful to see someone's actual hand motions. There are lots
of tying lessons on YouTube, and other internet sites. Get a pack of marabou,
bugger hackle, wire (I don't use it on buggers any longer), and some hooks.
BUGGER CITY ! If you buy a 100 pack of Mustad #10 hooks, Whiting Bugger
hackle pack, and a pack of marabou, you can 100 Wooly Buggers for $25.
I didn't mention chenille because I don't use it. I simply tie in the marabou
tail, and then wind the excess marabou up the hook shank for a body. It looks
good, ties faster, eliminates a step in tying, and reduces wasted materials.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Looks good, I hope I do as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Sorry, I just couldn't help it.
It's only that I remember MY first fly. How someone could screw up a SJ worm, is beyond reasoning, but I did it.
Keep it in a case and label it. Name, and date. Don't chuck it. I wish I would have kept mine.
I still don't tie because of it. That's why I have Joni.