The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Eggs

the wife and I were in Cabela's over the hollidays and I bought some eggs on sale, they just slide on the hook. My ? is, is zap-a-gap or crazzy glue better? Or does it matter? any other glues better then one of those?
Thanks
Bear
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
the wife and I were in Cabela's over the hollidays and I bought some eggs on sale, they just slide on the hook. My ? is, is zap-a-gap or crazzy glue better? Or does it matter? any other glues better then one of those?
Thanks
Bear
I have exactly the same question. I have found out (as a "re-born again" fly-tier) that the hook shank should first be thread-wound to provide an attachable surface - which I'm sure you knew already - and the glue put onto that. I've had recommendations for both Zap-A-Gap and Crazy Glue, so it probably doesn't matter.

Be interested in any feedback by more-experienced tiers.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

either one should should work out for ya. post a pic when you are done making um. also you can take some white glo yarn to the front of the fly too make a milky egg veil over top those like this http://www.euro-fly.com/new2006/soft_eggs.jpg. speaking of eggs just tied a few glo bug eggs. check um out. oregon cheese and peach with orange dot..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31797.JPG (80.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31810.JPG (81.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31803.JPG (80.7 KB, 7 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Thanks, good looking eggs there
Bear
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

thanks ever make glo eggs? they work too.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
thanks ever make glo eggs? they work too.
Yes sir I made them in MO for the put and take rivers like roaring river and down here I ty them for the Little Red , they work great mid oct to late dec when the trout are spawning.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

If your eggs don't have a thread core through the center you need to put a thread base down first. It only needs to be as wide as the egg or slightly smaller. After you wrap the base slide the egg over the hook bend and then apply some Zap-A-Gap to the thread. Now slide the egg over the thread/glue and let it set.

I am not sure what eggs you have and a thinner glue may be better. Any of the water proof Super glues will work.

Here is a quick egg to make from Feather-Craft using REEL Eggs.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Reel Eggs

REEL EGGS REEL EGGS are the latest ULTRA-REALISTIC "soft egg" component. Yarn-cord strung through them eliminates the need to build up a thread base on the hook-shank for the glue to adhere to. Trim the yarn "flush" with the egg, pass the hook point through the yarn core, apply one drop of Zap-A-Gap super-glue to hook-shank, then slide into final position. Done. COLORS: (1)Dead-Egg (Amber), (3)Fl-Flame, (5)Golden-Yellow, (6)Hot-Pink, (7)Blue-Steelie, (8)Orange-Roe, (9)Oregon-Cheese, (10)Red, (11)Rotten-Egg (Dk-Amber), (13)Yellow-Chartreuse, (17)Baby-Pink, (18)Clear/Fl-Hot-Pink, (19)Clear/Orange-Core, (20)Clear/Red-Core. 8mm, single eggs. (12-PAK)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM

The eggs I picked up are kinda like a hard cotton ball, They are pink with a sparkle to them. I have been looking at the REEL eggs and the kind with the thread core in them also. I ty one egg that usally does the job, but as a gear junky I am always playing wit new flies ONLY a fisherman LOL
Thanks
Bear
Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Hi Frank,

Interested to hear about the REEL eggs (now that I just bought a bunch of Otter's Soft Milk Eggs ). I guess the idea with the yarn run through the REEL eggs is that it provides a "purchase" hold for the glue? Hard to believe it would hold all that well since, unlike with Otter's and other eggs, it doesn't have a firmly-attached thread base to be glued to.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 PM

OK heres what I ended up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1372.jpg (106.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1376.jpg (85.9 KB, 7 views)