The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
falconjet00 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Tying Material

Has anyone purchased any fly tying material from e-bay? It seems like a pretty good deal on some of the kits,but i was really wondering about the quality of the items
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Tying Material

Since I had nothing, and not much money to spend on it, I bought a kit from a guy in Canada. Link below.

I will say this: You don't get a terribly great amount of material. What is there is pretty good. The hook selection leaves something to be desired.

Free Ship Value Fly Tying Kit Hooks Materials Flies - eBay (item 200301316586 end time Jan-27-09 14:05:52 PST)
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Or try Fly Tying Materials | Fly Tying Recipes | Fly Tying Supplies | Fly Tyers Dungeon | Fly Tying Supplies
Trygve
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

There are some good deals out there on ebay--- but the quality can vary widely, and to a large extent you get what you pay for. I think ebay might be a better option for someone that has tied a while and knows exactly what they want--- and has some idea of the value of items compared to prices elsewhere.

Where abouts are you? And what kind of fish do you want to chase? If you're interested in getting started in tying, there are orgs like TU with local chapters and FFF with affiliated clubs that have beginning tying classes, and that is an excellent way to learn, get a chance to tie some basic patterns, often with materials provided, and you'll get hands on instruction. Here are some links to see if there are any nearby:

Trout Unlimited: Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries
Federation of Fly Fishers: Locate a Club

The link Axle posted is for a materials kit (no tools and vise). Although it looks like a lot of materials, it might be tough for someone just starting out to figure out what to do with all of the stuff, and if you wanted to tie some basic patterns, like a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail Nymphs, Woolly Bugger, you may not have all the stuff you need for them.

A better way to go might be to contact an org or local fly shop near you to find out if there are any classes coming up, and get a materials list for the flies they'll be tying, and buy a basic set up (vise tools) and materials for a couple of specific, beginner patterns.

There are a number of ways to go depending on your budget, including kits, but the less expensive ones tend to come with poorly machined 10 dollar imported vises and a scattering of materials. You can find some kits that include a DVD, and listing of 12 or so fly patterns that the kit is designed to cover. You won't be able to tie a ton of each pattern, but it might be a way to go if you've got a budget of 50 bucks or so all in for everything and want to give it a shot.

In the long run though you'll probably want to upgrade the vise etc pretty soon, and buy more than just swatches of materials, so you might want to consider spending a bit more upfront---

Decent quality "beginner" vises will run from 25-30 dollars for a used Thompson Model A from the 1960-70's on ebay or craigslist, to 50-60 dollars for something like a new Griffin 1A or 2A. And quality new vises that will last a lifetime run 120-180 depending on bells and whistles, with many used ones can be found for less and are good buys, again if you know what to look for and can compare with retail prices for the new ones.

Tools figure 20-50 bucks depending on how many and quality, but these will also last a lifetime and better than typically included in kits.

Materials and hooks, figure 20-30 bucks for a couple of beginning patterns.
(You'll be spending this in short order even if you got a kit.) The materials you get will last a long time, and you'll be on your way to building up an inventory of stuff to tie patterns you'll actually be using on your waters.

If you want to throw out a rough budget, and what you'll be fishing for, -- whatever it is, I'm sure folks can suggest specific stuff to consider based on their experience.

Good luck, keep asking questions as they come up. You'll get a lot of good advice.

peregrines
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Kit makers usually put what they have the most of in those kits & unless your buying a kit for a specific fly your taking a chance on getting junk you don't need. If you buy feathers or fur I would go locally or at least to a on line store that has a return policy & a reputation. If your just starting to tie concentrate on just buying what you need for 1 type fly IE. Woolly buggers in different colors & sizes & then go on to nymphs, streamers & drys. Learning to tie can be very frustrating with bad or cheap materials. I've bought supposedly dry fly necks that had enough feathers for only a few flies in the sizes I want & stems that were only good for quill body's & Deer hair that is too thick for spinning etc.
Of course this is IMHO.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
falconjet00 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys, yes im new to the fly tying game. I have bought enough materials from Cabelas to tie the basics, pheasant tail nymph, zug bug,hares ear nymph.