The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Post A tying box...

Something to whip 'em up streamside...

Click the image to open in full size.

Many years ago, up on the East Fork of the Carson River, near Markleeville, CA, I took my rig in for a week of Fly Fishing. Four wheel drive is required to get into this spot …there is a river to ford and thankfully, not another person around. This was in July, just after the 4th. I got into a wonderful time of catching very large Cutthroat Trout on drifting October Caddis larvae…the only problem…I did not have enough larvae patterns in the right size to keep on hooking the Trout. Now, I always carry fly tying materials with me when I go into remote locations. In those days, that consisted of hooks, fur, feathers and synthetics in a collection of cardboard boxes and cigar boxes. So, I set to tying up these little guys on a wooden bench. A huge gust of wind came up and blew my boxes and materials off the bench and into the river…THAT experience resulted in my building the following box – which was featured in an old issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine…it has been everywhere with me since that disastrous occasion…

Since much of the FF I do is in remote locations ( 20-30 miles from the nearest pavement) where I camp for up to a week, this box has saved
the day...more than once...

The trays I use for holding gadgets…the bungee cords and hooks in the back of The BOX are for securing necks and hanging materials. I put a metal file box inside to hold liquids, wax and fragile tying tools…All of the materials used can be picked up at a hardware store or Home CheapO…the dimensions are based on what one wants…I built it around the pull out trays. It amazes me on how much I can stuff into this contraption…I can set it up in the rear of my vehicle in inclement weather…I can create anything I need anywhere-anyplace…LOADED, the whole thing weighs about 20lbs.

Road Rigs:

Tied a few here on the Madison at $3.00 Bridge while munching lunch...

The PACKMULE TRAILER comes in handy for hauling all my gear into the hinterlands...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-26-2010, 06:01 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A tying box...

Very impressive!