The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default First Wooly Buggers

Here is my attempt at some Wooley Buggers. I would be really interested in some constructive criticism. Some questions I have:

1. What do you do with the remainder of the marabou feather after you cut it? I tied one into a tail, but it looks kind of dumpy (photo 3).

2. How many wraps of hackle do you normally use on the body. I think I may be over-wrapping.

3. How close to the eye do you want your hackle. I tried to follow Charlie Craven's instructions, but they look too far away to me

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Wooly Buggers

OK, good start, you will find that with continued practice makes perfect. What most people say to do is pick one pattern (say wooly bugger) and keep tying them until you get the proportions all looking good. Your comments on your flies are spot on, now you just need to correct what you already suspect is wrong.

1. What do you do with the remainder of the marabou feather after you cut it? I tied one into a tail, but it looks kind of dumpy (photo 3).......You are absolutely correct, cut the material off that hook and start over. After tying in the tail, I sometimes use the excess to build the body or if using chennile I just throw out the excess. The whole idea with a wooly bugger is to use soft materials so the fly with pulsate in the water as you pull and pause the retrieve which makes it look like it is alive.

2. How many wraps of hackle do you normally use on the body. I think I may be over-wrapping........You are correct, I don't necessarily try to have a certain number of wraps but more of a distinctively looking segmented body by wrapping a little sparser than you are doing.

3. How close to the eye do you want your hackle. I tried to follow Charlie Craven's instructions, but they look too far away to me...........yes, try to get a little closer, but be sure to leave just enough room to tie off a small head.

Larry

Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Sweet Stuff Especially for your first buggers, They'll work for sure. The first fish I ever caught on a fly I tied was a caught on a green and black Bugger.

I agree with mcnerney. A few less wraps on the hackle and finish the fly a little closer to the eye. But your better off how you tied them than too close to the eye. I think when most people learn to tie they crowd the eye way too much. Then the fly is worthless because you cant get the tippet through the eye to tie it on.

Keep up the good work
Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the comments. I'll tie some more today and see if I can "clean" them up a bit. I can't wait to get out and see if they'll work
Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

First,
The ones you tied will fish, so fish em! Good job on your first ones.

Second, McNerney gave you great advice and the most important part of that is tie, tie, tie. you will be amazed how quickly it becomes easier, faster and more addicting. I rarely buy a fly these days.

Dave
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

They look pretty great man.

I agree that a few less wraps of hackle might be better. I think on buggers, you want the wraps to be roughly 1/8" apart.

Getting the head/finish wraps smaller takes practice, but I think making that pretty matters more to us than it does the fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

They look about the same as mine I am sure we both need to tie some more and fish some more. Hey somebody has to do it.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments. As soon as I get it "PERFECTED" I'll post some more (I wouldn't hold your breath)
Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Your flies look fine to me. Some times a sparse tie catches fish while other days a big fluffy one will work as well as anything.

Learning how to manipulate a sunken fly / streamer is much more important than how many turns of hackle you use on the pattern. I fish with wet flies all the time here where I live and darn near anything I tie catches fish if I use it properly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-30-2010, 03:33 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

As for those left-over hunks of marabou: I bag that kind of stuff together and keep it. You can use it for practice or give it to other folks learning to tie.
I like to use those marabou pieces in a dubbing loop and dub bushy damsel nymph bodies like the chickabou dragon or the mudeye.