The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:20 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tying table

Thank You, I have a walmart near me. I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:37 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I use a 6 dollar wood tv tray table that I bought on clearance sale. Hey don't laugh, it works. I don't have room for much, but I put most stuff in boxes beside the table. I have a feather box, fur box, synthetic box. Then I have an organizer that I put hooks, chenille, beads, and stuff like that in it. It will do for now. Your tying tables look great by the way. Love them.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

That does sound like a very good idea.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately i don't have a dedicated fly tying room-- so i tie on the dining room table with one of those portable tying stations. It's 21" wide by 16" deep.

In addition to the tying station, I usually end up spreading out a bit more-- to 40" wide by 20" deep with the tying station in the middle. That way there's plenty of room to lay out the materials you're working with for whatever flies you're tying.

One thing that really helps keep things organized and within reach is a Renzetti tool caddy- it a foam block with cut out holes for tools, with some larger ones sized for head cement bottles--- great to keep them from getting knocked over. They run 18-20 bucks or so. You should be able to find them in your local fly shop, or they can order them for you, but here's alink to get a look:
Kaufmanns' Streamborn, Inc. | Renzetti Tool Caddy

I keep fur and feathers in zip lock freezer bags inside sealable plastic rubbermaid type things to keep them bug free, and use a plastic grocery bag to catch snippings, looping one handle over the vise stem.

peregrines
Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Thank you, That looks like a good investment. Getting a rubbermaid container with drawers and I think I found a good portable tying table. My class today got cancelled so I'm reading the Orvis guide to fly tying.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer on the cancellation I know you were looking forward to it- I was just thinking of you when I saw your post and wondered why you weren't in class!!

The drawers are a great way to keep things organized.

peregrines
Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Home Despot has a good size shoe box for $1.00 ea with a snap on lid. They also have large black plastic 20 gal or so containers with snap on lids for #3.99. They are made by "Best" plastics. I was in there the other day & picked up a supply of them.