The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Tying table

I had read that they have portable flytying tables. I was wondering if this would be a good investment instead of trying to fight with the kids and cats over the kitchen table? And where would be a good place to purchase table. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying table

It's a lot easier to make one, All you need is some wood & pegs, & wood screws.....I just made this one a few weeks ago. Everything fits on top of it
& if you have to move it you can....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tying area 1.jpg (58.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Tying area 2.jpg (50.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, That table looks great. Does it sit on a table or does it have legs?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

This one sits on a table... you can just put it on a portable table anywhere you want. A buddy of mine modified one of those giveaway humidors from Thompson Cigars & mounted his vise to the lid. He put a rail with holes on top of it, Mounted his vise to the lid, & he keeps tools & stuff inside it.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

FWIW, if you don't have the time/inclination to make your own, you might take a look a the Oasis Fly Factory (Oasis seems to be the major manufacturer of fly-tying desks). I just bought one after looking at a number, both in store and online (including eBay). For under $80, this seemed to be well-featured at a reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oasis Fly Factory Tying Table.jpg (46.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I use my father-in-laws old drafting table (he was an architect). It's about 6 ft long and 4 ft deep. I have it supported on two sawhorses. I like the openess of that set-up; everthing where I need it and nothing to get in the way of arms, knees, feet, etc. Coupled with a comfortable swivel chair, I think it's hard to beat. And, a 4x6' piece of plywood or pressboard and two sawhorses is a pretty inexpensive way to get into a comfortable tying table.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
FWIW, if you don't have the time/inclination to make your own, you might take a look a the Oasis Fly Factory (Oasis seems to be the major manufacturer of fly-tying desks). I just bought one after looking at a number, both in store and online (including eBay). For under $80, this seemed to be well-featured at a reasonable price.
Thank you I will take a look at that site.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I use my father-in-laws old drafting table (he was an architect). It's about 6 ft long and 4 ft deep. I have it supported on two sawhorses. I like the openess of that set-up; everthing where I need it and nothing to get in the way of arms, knees, feet, etc. Coupled with a comfortable swivel chair, I think it's hard to beat. And, a 4x6' piece of plywood or pressboard and two sawhorses is a pretty inexpensive way to get into a comfortable tying table.
If you're lucky enough to have the room . . .
Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher45,

Here is a 4' folding table that I use. The picture shows a 4 pack but it is available as a single table. The top is polyethylene and is very ridged. The legs fold up into the top and are easy to store. The table is 24" wide and comes in 2' to 8' lengths. I got mine from Sam's Club but they are available from other sources.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher45,

Here is the same table in a 30" X 20" size.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.