The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Best type of fly for beginners

Hi flyfisher45,

The Woolly Bugger is a very good fly and not too hard to tie. The problem is as a new tyer you may not have the Marabou feather needed for the tail. It sound like you are just getting started. Do you have a fly shop close by? If so, go there and ask for the materials to tye a Woolly Burger. They will give you what you need. If they are a good shop they will tye one while you watch.

A first fly that I recommend is a San Juan Worm. It is about as simple as it gets and it gives you some time at the bench getting use to your vise and bobbin. The second fly to try is a streamer. It gives you most of the basic techniques that you need in fly tying. You can tie weighted or non-weighted, different tails, different bodies and different wings. By the time you get through with tying a few streamers you will have built up your confidence. A woolly bugger is a more complicated fly and it would be the third fly I would try.

It seems like you don't have a book and that should be your next purchase. A good book will help you get started and make things a lot easier for you. It will explain the tools and materials and how to get started.

Frank
Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Hi Flyfisher,

I'm sure there are a lot of good books out there, I purchased LL Bean's
Quote:
Ultimate Book of Fly Fishing
when I started fly fishing last year. Good source of information about equipment, knots, casting techniques, and fly tying. The fly tying section covers basic variations of woolly worms/buggers, wet flies, streamers, nymphs, dry flies and a few others. They give a decent explanation, with some pictures, on how to tie the different (basic) types of flies with information on a few different variations of each if you want a different color or style. I've seen other fly tying books with a lot of other types of flies, but for me starting out LL Beans book will be a good resource.
Video's are available online line and provide a good way of seeing some of the techniques involved, many available on Youtube, and someone else posted this link in another thread in this forum Learn Fly Tying for Beginners to Intermediate. All that being said, probably no real substitute for working with other experienced fly tyers at a local class or fly shop.

Scott
Old 01-31-2009, 03:48 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi flyfisher45,

The Woolly Bugger is a very good fly and not too hard to tie. The problem is as a new tyer you may not have the Marabou feather needed for the tail. It sound like you are just getting started. Do you have a fly shop close by? If so, go there and ask for the materials to tye a Woolly Burger. They will give you what you need. If they are a good shop they will tye one while you watch.

A first fly that I recommend is a San Juan Worm. It is about as simple as it gets and it gives you some time at the bench getting use to your vise and bobbin. The second fly to try is a streamer. It gives you most of the basic techniques that you need in fly tying. You can tie weighted or non-weighted, different tails, different bodies and different wings. By the time you get through with tying a few streamers you will have built up your confidence. A woolly bugger is a more complicated fly and it would be the third fly I would try.

It seems like you don't have a book and that should be your next purchase. A good book will help you get started and make things a lot easier for you. It will explain the tools and materials and how to get started.

Frank
Thank you, I do have a fly shop close by and I'm taking a class Sat.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi flyfisher45,

You will be glad you took some lessons. Lessons makes it so much easier to learn. Keep us posted on your progress.

Frank
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Two of my favorites are books by A.K. Best and Jack Denison, The internet is good, but try and get a couple three or four books to.
Bear
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Some basic, productive flies that will also use materials that come in handy for other patterns:
Woolly Bugger
Pheasant Tail Nymph
Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear

Tie a dozen or so of one pattern before you move on to the next, and try to get each one better than the last. Vary colors, beads/weight/no weight and work fro larger to smaller sizes etc. if you want to mix it up a little.

Get some help picking out materials- preferably from a local shop, or if you order on line there are a number of places that specialize in fly fishing that can work with you over the phone to make sure you get the right stuff for what you’re tying (or ask for material recommendations on the board for specific patterns if you're not sure)

You may want to look into picking up one of these books. All of them offer a good introduction to tying and cover a range of productive patterns that teach a variety of techniques. If you can work your way thru the basic flies in these books, you can tie 1,000’s of patterns by varying materials and combining different techniques just by looking at a pic and recipe. Get a book that is spiral bound so you can lay it flat next to you when you tie.

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris- for many years the standard intro books for trout flies

Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying By Ted Leeson- relatively new, with innovative format with pages split horizontally to allow you view detailed instructions on different techniques on the bottom half, and detailed instructions for the pattern on top

Basic Fly Tying by Charlie Craven- just out, very detailed instructions and photos for tying, lots of tips, includes some newer very productive patterns as well as some of the old standbys.

There are tons of resources online for beginning tyers including Carlie Craven’s site ( Fly Tying Tutorials for beginners - Copperfly.net - Fly Tying Instructions ) and a series of fly tying lessons on Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. and you can find vids and step by steps for tons of stuff by googling “whateverpatternname tying”

Good luck, you'll have fun and learn a ton from your class.

peregrines
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, I will definately check out those books. I can't wait to start tying.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 AM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

Fly Tying Patterns and Instructions
http://www.flytyingworld.com/
Virtual Flybox :: Patterns :: By Pattern Name
Flytier's Page

Heres a few online resources and pattern books are a great place too i use eBay for book searches you can find a lot there i would recomend buying the "Flytiers desk reference" its an excellent book and for a beginner will add years of talent in a short period of time...............happy tying
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Hi flyfisher45,

You can also check out some of the tutorials in the FAQ Fly Tying forum. You don't have to tye the same fly. Just study how the various steps are down.

Frank
Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 AM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

I must correct myself the title of that book is "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" my apologies..............